This is a fairly large 'extra-parochial' area adjoining Monks
Kirby to the west. Register entries have therefore to be sought
in nearby parishes. There is no village; the hamlets of Upper and
Lower Smite were depopulated in the Middle Ages. The Cistercian
Abbey of Combe, which was dissolved in 1539, was in part
incorporated into the mansion built in the sixteenth century. It
was acquired in 1616 by Sir William Craven. The grounds, laid out
by Capability Brown include a ninety acre lake. Combe Abbey, now
owned by the City of Coventry, is open to the public. Today there
is a civil parish known as Combe Fields.
Withybrook with Monks Kirby,
CENSUS RETURNS: 1841-1871
MANORIAL RECORDS: (Smite
and Withybrook) 1525-1538.
DEEDS: Relating to Combe Abbey estate, 17th-18th centuries,
OTHER SOURCES: Survey of estates of the Earl of Craven 1823.
Letters, Craven family 1679-1683.
Ward collection drawings.
[Last updated: 18th March 2013 ]