Click Here to go back to District Map
Acocks Green Allens Cross Ashted Aston (Gosta Green) Aston Aston (Juxta) Aston Brook Aston Manor Balsall Heath Bartley Green Bearwood Billesley Birchfield Birmingham Blackwell Bordesley (Camp Hill) Bordesley Bordesley Green Bournbrook Bournville Brandwood Bromford Brookfields California Castle Bromwich Cotteridge Deritend Duddeston Earlswood Edgbaston Erdington Great Barr Greet Hall Green Hamstead Handsworth Harborne Hay Mills Hazelwell Highgate Hockley Hodge Hill Kings Heath Kings Norton Kingstanding Ladywood Longbridge Lozells Moseley Nechells Newtown Northfield Olton Oscott Perry Barr Perry Beeches Pipe Hayes Quinton Rednal Rubery Saltley Selly Oak Shard End Sheldon Shenley Green Small Heath Smethwick Solihull South Yardley Sparkbrook Sparkhill Springfield Spring Hill Stechford Stirchley Summerfield Sutton Coldfield Ward End Washwood Heath West Heath Weoley Castle Winson Green Witton Yardley Yardley Wood RELIGIOUS HOUSES

Church of England Churches

Listed left are Districts/Parish Churches within the City of Birmingham boundary. Clicking on the District will take you to the District Information Page which also shows an approximate Ordnance Survey Grid Reference. Where Birmingham has been indicated this means Birmingham Central. All sources are from Birmingham Central Library archives, Birmingham Diocesan Directory and the Victorian History of the Counties of England. Warwickshire Vol.VII

Unless identified separately & specifically ALL Churches are C of E

C of E

Winson Green – Bishop Latimer Memorial Handsworth New Road (O S GR SP 0489 )

Consecrated in 1904 .A parish was assigned out of St Chrysostom’s, Birmingham, and St Cuthbert’s, Birmingham in 1904.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1902 –1967

Marriages 1910 – 1967


C of E

Winson Green – Dudley Road Hospital Dudley Road ( O. S GR SP 040880 )


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1889-1965


C of E

Winson Green – St Cuthbert Cuthbert Road / Winson Green Road ( O. S GR  SP 043878 )

Began as a mission of All Saint’s, Birmingham, licensed for public worship from 1863. In 1872 a new church was consecrated. A parish was assigned out of All Saint’s in 1872. Part of the parish was taken to form part of the parish of Bishop Latimer, Birmingham 1904.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1870-1960

Marriages 1872-1960


Non Conformist


Baptist - Ellen Street Winson Green / Brookfields

Mission was opened as a domestic mission by Mount Zion Chapel Graham Street Birmingham in 1866. After worship had been carried on for some years in hired rooms a hall was built in 1879. On the opening of the Church of Redeemer Hagley Road Edgbaston in1882 supervision continued by Mount Zion church that was occupied by the new chapel and in 1885 the hall was still in use in 1909.


Baptist - Spring Hill Winson Green

Chapel was built in 1886. The church originated as a Sunday school inaugurated by Graham Street Birmingham in College Street Winson Green in 1854. In 1892 a number of seceding members began to hold meetings at Dudley Road School Winson Green, and the mother church later continued this mission until it was established as City Road Summerfield church until 1922.


Baptists – Strict Baptists - Crabtree Road Winson Green

Zoar chapel formerly a Methodist New Connexion chapel, was registered for public worship in 1898 by seceders from Frederick Street Hockley. It continued to appear in the directories until 1941.


Bretheren - Open Bretheren - Cape Street Winson Green

Hebron Gospel Hall was registered for public worship from 1926 to 1954.


Brethren - Waverhill Road Winson Green

Gospel hall was in use in 1892.


Congregationalists and Independents -  Lansdowne Street Winson Green

West Birmingham Brotherhood Church registered rooms in Lansdowne Buildings for public worship from 1912 to 1925.


Congregationalists and Independents -  Winson Green Road Winson Green

Chapel was built in 1882. Mission work in the district began in 1859,when Graham Street chapel inaugurated meeting in Slough Lane, and open-air services in Mary Hill. Members of Union Chapel also helped in the work, and in 1870 a mission hall was built, to be replaced by the new chapel 12 years later.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Marriage 1981 – 1993


Elim Church - Handsworth New Road

Elim Church was acquired in 1954 for a congregation, which had previously worshipped in hired premises since at least 1937.


Hospitals - Dudley Road Hospital

Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptisms 1889 - 1965


Hospitals -Summerfield Hospital Summerfield

Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptism 1864 – 1962  (none April 1888 – October 1907)


Methodists - Dudley Road Winson  Green

Trinity Chapel, was opened by the Methodist new Connexion in 1903. The congregation’s first chapel, opened in 1862, was in Heath Street, Winson Green. In 1889 this was abandoned for a school-chapel in Dudley Road, Winson Green.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptism 1879 – 1957

Marriage 1904 -1956


Methodists - New Spring Street Winson  Green

Brookfield chapel was built by the Methodist New Connexion in 1893, as a new place of worship for the congregation at Crabtree Road.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Marriages 1969 (originals stolen from church)


Methodists - Park Road

Soho chapel a Wesleyan chapel appears in the Birmingham directories from 1868 to 1876.


Methodists - Peel Street Winson Green

Chapel was registered for public worship by the Wesleyans in 1878. There was however a chapel on this site in 1855, and the registration of 1878 appears to refer to a new building.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptism 1822 -1962


Other Churches and Missions - Heath  Green Road Winson Green

Cromwell hall was registered for public worship in 1897.The hall had been used previously by the Birmingham Christian Evidence and protestant Laymen’s Association, founded in 1870. The mission was known from 1933 as the Cromwell Hall Evangelistic Mission.


Spiritualists - Crabtree Road Winson  Green

Mission room was registered for public worship by the Christian Spiritualists in 1954.


Roman Catholic


St Patrick 1876 Dudley Road ( O S GR SP0487 )

The mission was established in 1873. Mass was first said in a shed in Barford Road and later in another shed, until an iron church was opened in 1876.The permanent church opened in 1895 and consecrated in 1902.