Click Here to go back to District Map
Acocks Green Allens Cross Ashted Aston (Gosta Green) Aston Aston (Juxta) Aston Brook Aston Manor Balsall Heath Bartley Green Bearwood Billesley Birchfield Birmingham Blackwell Bordesley (Camp Hill) Bordesley Bordesley Green Bournbrook Bournville Brandwood Bromford Brookfields California Castle Bromwich Cotteridge Deritend Duddeston Earlswood Edgbaston Erdington Great Barr Greet Hall Green Hamstead Handsworth Harborne Hay Mills Hazelwell Highgate Hockley Hodge Hill Kings Heath Kings Norton Kingstanding Ladywood Longbridge Lozells Moseley Nechells Newtown Northfield Olton Oscott Perry Barr Perry Beeches Pipe Hayes Quinton Rednal Rubery Saltley Selly Oak Shard End Sheldon Shenley Green Small Heath Smethwick Solihull South Yardley Sparkbrook Sparkhill Springfield Spring Hill Stechford Stirchley Summerfield Sutton Coldfield Ward End Washwood Heath West Heath Weoley Castle Winson Green Witton Yardley Yardley Wood RELIGIOUS HOUSES

Church of England Churches

Listed left are Districts/Parish Churches within the City of Birmingham boundary. Clicking on the District will take you to the District Information Page which also shows an approximate Ordnance Survey Grid Reference. Where Birmingham has been indicated this means Birmingham Central. All sources are from Birmingham Central Library archives, Birmingham Diocesan Directory and the Victorian History of the Counties of England. Warwickshire Vol.VII

Unless identified separately & specifically ALL Churches are C of E

C of E

Ward End – Christ Church Burney Lane ( O. S GR SP 123880 )

Consecrated in 1935 as a chapel of ease to St Margaret’s, Ward End


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms see also St Margaret’s records 1944 – 1975


C of E

Ward End – St Margaret St Margaret’s Road / Church Walk ( O. S GR SP 114886 )

Was originally built in or shortly before 1517. A new church was dedicated in 1834 and consecrated in 1841. In 1870 the parish of St Margaret, Ward End was created out of St Peter & St Paul’s Aston. The expanding population of the district were met in the early 20th century by the establishment of missions. A mission room in Blakeland Street was licensed for public worship from 1909 to 1924, and a church room in Sladerfield Street from 1925 to the Second World War. St Paul’s mission room, Bordesley Green was licensed in 1912 and was consecrated in 1929. In 1935 Christ Church, Ward End was consecrated as a chapel of ease to St Margaret’s. Parts of St Margaret’s parish were taken to form St Paul’s, Bordesley Green 1928, and part of St Mary and St John’s, Shaw Hill 1929.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1842 – 1975  

Marriages 1870 – 1981

Burials 1842 – 1942


Non Conformist


Baptist - Bankdale Road Alum Rock

Grenfell Church was opened in 1956. On the closing of Heneage Street Aston chapel in 1952 a school chapel was built at Bankdale Road Alum Rock. The building was still in use at the beginning of 1956.


Christadelphians - Washwood Heath  Road Ward End

Hall was built in 1934. The meeting was founded in 1934 at Ward End, Washwood Heath.


Methodists - Monk Road Ward End

Chapel, was completed by the Wesleyans between 1911 and 1914. Damaged by bombing during the Second World War, the chapel was rebuilt in 1954.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptism 1913 – 1972


Methodists - Washwood Heath Road  Ward End

Chapel a corrugated iron structure was opened by the Primitive Methodists in 1910, and was burned down in 1923. Replaced by a new building, registered for public in 1925., it was no longer in use in 1940.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptism 1924 -1934


Other Churches and Missions - Ward  End Road Ward End

Bethel Gospel Temple was opened in 1932 and was registered for public worship by the Union of Gospel Churches.


Spiritualists - Washwood Heath Road  Ward End

Church was registered for public worship by the Christian Spiritualists in 1938. In 1950 new premises in Church Walk were registered.