Click Here to go back to District Map
Acocks Green Allens Cross Ashted Aston (Gosta Green) Aston Aston (Juxta) Aston Brook Aston Manor Balsall Heath Bartley Green Bearwood Billesley Birchfield Birmingham Blackwell Bordesley (Camp Hill) Bordesley Bordesley Green Bournbrook Bournville Brandwood Bromford Brookfields California Castle Bromwich Cotteridge Deritend Duddeston Earlswood Edgbaston Erdington Great Barr Greet Hall Green Hamstead Handsworth Harborne Hay Mills Hazelwell Highgate Hockley Hodge Hill Kings Heath Kings Norton Kingstanding Ladywood Longbridge Lozells Moseley Nechells Newtown Northfield Olton Oscott Perry Barr Perry Beeches Pipe Hayes Quinton Rednal Rubery Saltley Selly Oak Shard End Sheldon Shenley Green Small Heath Smethwick Solihull South Yardley Sparkbrook Sparkhill Springfield Spring Hill Stechford Stirchley Summerfield Sutton Coldfield Ward End Washwood Heath West Heath Weoley Castle Winson Green Witton Yardley Yardley Wood RELIGIOUS HOUSES

Church of England Churches

Listed left are Districts/Parish Churches within the City of Birmingham boundary. Clicking on the District will take you to the District Information Page which also shows an approximate Ordnance Survey Grid Reference. Where Birmingham has been indicated this means Birmingham Central. All sources are from Birmingham Central Library archives, Birmingham Diocesan Directory and the Victorian History of the Counties of England. Warwickshire Vol.VII

Unless identified separately & specifically ALL Churches are C of E

C of E

Stirchley - St Hugh Pineapple Grove

Has been licensed for public worship since 1927. ( Used because of fire at The Ascension Church Stirchley )

Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Marriages Oct 1965 – Jul 1973


C of E

Stirchley – The Ascension Hazelwell Street / Pershore Road ( O. S GR SP 053812 approx )

Consecrated as a chapel of ease to St Mary, Moseley in 1901. A parish was assigned out of St Nicolas’s Kings Norton and St Mary’s Moseley in 1912. Part of the parish of St Mary Magdeline, Hazelwell (1932) was formed from this parish. The Mission Church of St Hugh, Bishop of Lincoln, Pineapple Grove has been licensed for public worship since 1927.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1901-1962

Baptisms at School Church in St Nicolas records 1863 – 1901  

Marriages 1902-1982


Non Conformist


Brethren - Pershore Road Stirchley

Gospel mission hall was registered for public worship in 1937.


Christadelphians - Hazelwell Street Stirchley

The institute, formerly the Friends Institute, Stirchley, was in use for Christadelphian meetings in 1954 to 1941 and hired premises in Kingstanding.


Friends - Bournville Works Stirchley

Meeting room was in use from 1882 to 1892 and was a small dining room near Mosley’s Lodge by Stirchley station. The meeting owed it’s foundation to the removal in 1879 of Cadbury’s cocoa and chocolate works from Bridge Street, Birmingham, to their new site at Bournville , and the consequent migration of management and staff, some of whom were Quakers. It was preceded by Christian Society evening’s meetings at the Stirchley Street Board School, started in 1879. The congregation moved in 1892 to Stirchley institute, Hazelwell Street Stirchley.


Friends - Hazelwell Street Stirchley

Meetinghouse, opened in 1882 as the Bournville factory meeting. In 1892 while continuing to be known as “Bournville” meeting , this congregation moved into Stirchley Institute, recently completed by Cadbury’s. In 1954 and 1957 the institute was used for Christadelphian meetings.


Methodists - Cartland Road Stirchley

Chapel was erected by the Primitive Methodists in 1906 to serve a congregation that had originated in a series of cottage meetings. The first Stirchley Primitive Methodist meetings were held in an old theatre.


Methodists - Pershore Road Selly Park/ Stirchley

Wesleyan hall was opened by the Wesleyan’s in 1920. The Hall ceased to be registered for public worship in 1956.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptism 1913 - 1955


Methodists - Pershore Road Stirchley

Chapel was registered for public worship by the United Methodist in 1917. The chapel ceased to be registered for public worship in 1956.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptism 1918 -1934

Marriage 1917 -1954


Methodists - Stirchley Street

Chapel was built by the Wesleyans in1839. A Wesleyan chapel with this name was registered for public worship from 1861 to 1896 and may have been the original place of worship of the church, which later moved to Pershore Road, Stirchley. The Stirchley Methodists were possibly descended from a congregation fourteen strong which existed in Kings Norton parish in 1829.


Other Churches and Missions -  Pershore Road Stirchley

Gospel Mission Hall was registered for public worship from 1937 to 1925.


Salvation Army - Ash Tree Road  Stirchley

Barracks, was registered for public worship from 1903 to 1925.


Salvation Army - Pershore Road  Stirchley

Hall was registered for public worship in 1915.