Click Here to go back to District Map
Acocks Green Allens Cross Ashted Aston (Gosta Green) Aston Aston (Juxta) Aston Brook Aston Manor Balsall Heath Bartley Green Bearwood Billesley Birchfield Birmingham Blackwell Bordesley (Camp Hill) Bordesley Bordesley Green Bournbrook Bournville Brandwood Bromford Brookfields California Castle Bromwich Cotteridge Deritend Duddeston Earlswood Edgbaston Erdington Great Barr Greet Hall Green Hamstead Handsworth Harborne Hay Mills Hazelwell Highgate Hockley Hodge Hill Kings Heath Kings Norton Kingstanding Ladywood Longbridge Lozells Moseley Nechells Newtown Northfield Olton Oscott Perry Barr Perry Beeches Pipe Hayes Quinton Rednal Rubery Saltley Selly Oak Shard End Sheldon Shenley Green Small Heath Smethwick Solihull South Yardley Sparkbrook Sparkhill Springfield Spring Hill Stechford Stirchley Summerfield Sutton Coldfield Ward End Washwood Heath West Heath Weoley Castle Winson Green Witton Yardley Yardley Wood RELIGIOUS HOUSES

Church of England Churches

Listed left are Districts/Parish Churches within the City of Birmingham boundary. Clicking on the District will take you to the District Information Page which also shows an approximate Ordnance Survey Grid Reference. Where Birmingham has been indicated this means Birmingham Central. All sources are from Birmingham Central Library archives, Birmingham Diocesan Directory and the Victorian History of the Counties of England. Warwickshire Vol.VII

Unless identified separately & specifically ALL Churches are C of E

C of E

Sparkhill - St John Emmanuel

Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1867-1949

Marriages 1886-1969

Banns 1931-1980


C of E

Sparkhill - St John the Evangelist Stratford Road ( O. S GR SP 093840 )

Consecrated 1889 and enlarged in 1895. A parish was assigned out of St Edburgha’s Yardley in 1894.. Part of the parish were taken to form the parish of St Christopher’s, Springfield 1911 and part of the parish of St Edmund, Tysley 1931. And part was exchanged with part of the parish of Hall Green in 1907. St John’s church school was licensed for public worship 1908 –26. The Taylor Memorial Home Chapel 1913 – 26, and St John’s mission room from 1928 until the Second World War. St Edmunds Mission Church, Tysley licensed from 1913 was consecrated 1932. St Bedes Mission Church Greet has been licensed since 1907 and the Chapel of Birmingham & Midland Hospital for Women since 1914.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1876 - 1946

Marriages 1886 – 1969

Confirmations 1889 –1920

Banns 1931 - 1980


Non Conformist


Assemblies of God - Stratford Road  Sparkhill

Glad Tidings Hall was registered for public worship in 1941.


Church of Christ - Stratford Road  Sparkhill

Chapel opened shortly after 1898for a church formed in that year.


Congregationalists and Independents -  Stratford Road

Chapel began its existence in 1901 as an “iron room” serving the population of a large new housing estate. Carrs Lane and Warwick Road churches were initially responsible for supplying ministers.


Jehovah’s Witnesses - Stratford Road Sparkhill

Meeting-rooms were registered for public worship from 1940 to 1952.


Methodists - Springfield Road Sparkhill / Springfield

Chapel was registered for public worship by the Primitive Methodists 1916. The church originated in 1900 when two villas in Tenby Road were converted into a mission. Premises were first registered in Springfield Road in 1906.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Marriage 1931 - 1963


Methodists - Stratford Road Sparkhill

Chapel was built by the Primitive Methodists in 1895. The chapel ceased to be registered for public worship in 1947, when it was replaced by a nearby church hall, itself discontinued in 1954. In 1957 the chapel was being used by a firm manufacturing organs.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Marriage 1907 -1952


Methodists - Warwick Road Sparkhill

Chapel was opened by the Wesleyans in 1892.it was severely damaged by bombing during the Second World War, but was subsequently rebuilt. The church originated in 1872 when prayer and class meetings led by Bradford Street members began to be held at a house in Warwick Road Board school. The two missions were united n 1889 and in 1890 the wooden hall was moved to Warwick Road, Sparkhill.


Salvation Army - Bard Street Sparkhill

Yardley hall, was registered for public worship 1904 to 1909.


Salvation Army - Bertha Road  Sparkhill

Greet Barracks were in use in 1892. Registration for public worship ceased in 1903, the congregation moving eventually to premises in Stratford Road, Sparkhill. Apparently via Bard Street,


Salvation Army - Stratford Road  Sparkhill

Citadel was registered for public worship in 1909, in place of Bard Street.


Roman Catholic


English Martyrs Evelyn Road / Stratford Road ( O S GR SP0983 )

The mission was established in 1908. A school was used as a chapel from 1911 until 1923 when a new church was opened it was consecrated in 1946.