Click Here to go back to District Map
Acocks Green Allens Cross Ashted Aston (Gosta Green) Aston Aston (Juxta) Aston Brook Aston Manor Balsall Heath Bartley Green Bearwood Billesley Birchfield Birmingham Blackwell Bordesley (Camp Hill) Bordesley Bordesley Green Bournbrook Bournville Brandwood Bromford Brookfields California Castle Bromwich Cotteridge Deritend Duddeston Earlswood Edgbaston Erdington Great Barr Greet Hall Green Hamstead Handsworth Harborne Hay Mills Hazelwell Highgate Hockley Hodge Hill Kings Heath Kings Norton Kingstanding Ladywood Longbridge Lozells Moseley Nechells Newtown Northfield Olton Oscott Perry Barr Perry Beeches Pipe Hayes Quinton Rednal Rubery Saltley Selly Oak Shard End Sheldon Shenley Green Small Heath Smethwick Solihull South Yardley Sparkbrook Sparkhill Springfield Spring Hill Stechford Stirchley Summerfield Sutton Coldfield Ward End Washwood Heath West Heath Weoley Castle Winson Green Witton Yardley Yardley Wood RELIGIOUS HOUSES

Church of England Churches

Listed left are Districts/Parish Churches within the City of Birmingham boundary. Clicking on the District will take you to the District Information Page which also shows an approximate Ordnance Survey Grid Reference. Where Birmingham has been indicated this means Birmingham Central. All sources are from Birmingham Central Library archives, Birmingham Diocesan Directory and the Victorian History of the Counties of England. Warwickshire Vol.VII

Unless identified separately & specifically ALL Churches are C of E

C of E

Sparkbrook - Christ Church Farm Road / Grantham Road / Dolobran Road ( O. S GR SP 087851 )

Consecrated in 1867. A parish was assigned out of St Peter & St Paul, Aston in 1867. Part of the parish of St Agatha 1902 and the parish of Emmanuel, Sparkbrook 1928 were formed from this parish. The Diocesan Home for Girls has been licensed for public worship since 1927 (in the parish of St Mary, Moseley since 1951)


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1867-1964

Marriages 1868-1954


C of E

Sparkbrook - Emmanuel Wolford Road ( O. S GR SP 095846 )

Consecrated in 1901.It was a chapel of ease to Christ Church, Sparkbrook in 1928.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1898-1989

Marriages 1928-1967


C of E

Sparkbrook - St Agatha Stratford Road ( O. S GR SP 086848 )

Consecrated in 1901. Built with funds raised from the sale of Christ Church , Birmingham A parish was assigned to the church in 1902 out of Christ Church, Sparkbrook, and St Paul’s, Balsall Heath. Under the Birmingham Churches Act 1897, the benefice of Christ Church, Birmingham was transferred to St Agatha’s. The church hall has been licensed for public worship since 1959.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1901 – 1954

Marriages 1902 - 1952


Non Conformist


Assemblies of God - Sampson Road  Sparkbrook

Glad Tidings Hall was registered for public worship in 1952.


Baptist - Priestley Road Sparkbrook

Union Baptist Church was registered for public worship from 1891 to 1905.


Baptist - Stratford Road Sparkbrook

Chapel was built in 1878-9. The church is said to have originally consisted of former members of a mission in Priestley Road Sparkbrook opened in 1873 and discontinued in 1879.


Church of Christ - Priestley Road Sparkbrook

Chapel a brick building formerly belonged to the Latter Day Saints began to be used by the Churches of Christ about 1938. The church was founded in 1928 and met at first in a schoolroom in Rea Street Digbeth. About 1931 the place of meeting was moved to a converted public house in Conybere Street Highgate (registered in 1934 as Hick Street, Highgate, meeting house)


Congregationalists and Independents -  Stoney Lane Sparkbrook / Balsall Heath

Chapel was built in 1896. The chapel was destroyed bombing in 1940. And is commemorated by a memorial church in Coleshill Road Hodgehill.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Marriage 1931 – 1940


Friends - Farm Street Sparkbrook

Hall was opened in 1894. it was planned for use as an adult schoolroom, a meeting place, and a coffee tavern. In 1889 an adult school which had been carried on at great King Street Sparkbrook. Baptist chapel moved its headquarters to Farm Street Board School, and the Christian Society founded a dependant’s congregation.


Methodists - Highgate Road (formerly Queen Street and Thomas Street) Sparkbrook

Chapel was built by the Methodist New Connexion in 1849, and sold to the Primitive Methodists in 1854. The chapel ceased to appear in the Birmingham directories in 1909.


Methodists - Priestly Road Sparkbrook

Chapel was registered for public worship by the Bible Christians from 1901 to 1908.