Click Here to go back to District Map
Acocks Green Allens Cross Ashted Aston (Gosta Green) Aston Aston (Juxta) Aston Brook Aston Manor Balsall Heath Bartley Green Bearwood Billesley Birchfield Birmingham Blackwell Bordesley (Camp Hill) Bordesley Bordesley Green Bournbrook Bournville Brandwood Bromford Brookfields California Castle Bromwich Cotteridge Deritend Duddeston Earlswood Edgbaston Erdington Great Barr Greet Hall Green Hamstead Handsworth Harborne Hay Mills Hazelwell Highgate Hockley Hodge Hill Kings Heath Kings Norton Kingstanding Ladywood Longbridge Lozells Moseley Nechells Newtown Northfield Olton Oscott Perry Barr Perry Beeches Pipe Hayes Quinton Rednal Rubery Saltley Selly Oak Shard End Sheldon Shenley Green Small Heath Smethwick Solihull South Yardley Sparkbrook Sparkhill Springfield Spring Hill Stechford Stirchley Summerfield Sutton Coldfield Ward End Washwood Heath West Heath Weoley Castle Winson Green Witton Yardley Yardley Wood RELIGIOUS HOUSES

Church of England Churches

Listed left are Districts/Parish Churches within the City of Birmingham boundary. Clicking on the District will take you to the District Information Page which also shows an approximate Ordnance Survey Grid Reference. Where Birmingham has been indicated this means Birmingham Central. All sources are from Birmingham Central Library archives, Birmingham Diocesan Directory and the Victorian History of the Counties of England. Warwickshire Vol.VII

Unless identified separately & specifically ALL Churches are C of E

C of E

Small Heath - All Saints Cooksey Rd ( O. S GR SP 09 85 )

Erected in 1875 and consecrated in 1883. The church was destroyed by enemy action during the Second World War. A parish was assigned out of Holy Trinity, Bordesley in 1875, the living in the gift of private trustees was a titular vicarage from 1890. The parish out of which the parish of St Aidan, Small Heath and part of the parish of St Gregory, Small Heath 1924, had been formed and from which part had been transferred to St Aidian’s, Small Heath in 1907, was declared an ecclesiastical reorganisation area in 1946. In 1949 the benefice was permanently united so that of St Aidian, Small Heath to form a new benefice to be called St Aidian. St Aidian originated as a mission church of the Good Shepherd, opened in 1900 was in 1916 consecrated as St Gregory the Great


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1875-1947

Marriages 1883-1949


C of E

Small Heath – Emmanuel Green Lane ( O. S GR SP 09 86 )

Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1892-1894


C of E

Small Heath - St Aidian Herbert Road ( O. S GR SP 092858 )

Originated as a iron church first licensed as a mission church of All Saint’s, Small Heath. In 1891.A permanent church built 1894 , consecrated 1896. A parish was assigned out of All Saint’s, Small Heath in 1897 of which part was transferred back again in 1907. In 1946 the parish, together with those of All Saint’s, Small heath, St Gregory , Small heath and St Oswald, Small heath was declared part of an ecclesiastical reorganisation area. In 1949 the benefices of St Aidan and All Saints were united to form the new benefice of St Aidan. A mission church in Arthur Street and Dixon Road has been licensed for public worship since 1902.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1891-1968

Marriages 1897-1968


C of E

Small Heath - St Gregory the Great Coventry Road / Oldknow Road ( O. S GR SP 195855 )

Originated as an iron church of the Good Shepherd and opened in 1900 as a mission of All Saint’s, Small Heath. A permanent church was begun in 1902 dedicated to St Gregory the Great in 1912, and consecrated in 1916. In 1916 a Conventional District was attached to it, and in 1924 a parish was assigned out of All Saint’s, Small Heath, and St Oswald’s, Bordesley. The parish was declared part of an ecclesiastical re-organisation area in 1946.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1909-1994

Marriages 1924-1992


Non Conformist


Baptist - Coventry Road Small Heath

Chapel was opened in 1891 as a branch chapel of Victoria Street Bordesley Green Renovated in 1937. Coventry Road Small Heath had consistently maintained it’s positioned as one of the leading Birmingham chapels. Daughter churches were founded at Alexander Road Acocks Green 1903, and Rowlands Road Yardley 1939. In 1892 Coventry Road Small Heath also had charge of a mission in Greenway Street Bordesley and another in Church Road, Saltley.


Brethren - Green Lane Small Heath

Gospel hall, is mentioned in 1878. In a deed of 1886 it was described as “until recently” a Wesleyan Methodist chapel.


Christadelphians - Heather Road Small Heath

Hall was opened in 1939. The ecclesia was founded in 1924, and was associated with the Temperance Hall group. In 1939 it was meeting in the Co-operative Society meeting room, Coventry Road.


Congregationalists and Independents -  Coventry Road Small Heath

Was built in 1868. The church originated as a mission founded from Palmer Street Bordesley in 1858.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptisms 1886 - 1979

Marriage 1866 - 1966


Congregationalists and Independents -  Waverley Road Small Heath

Chapel was in use in 1892. It was mentioned in the Birmingham Red Book for 1892 and 1893 only.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Indicates records


Elim Church - Muntz Street Small Heath

Elim church, formerly a Methodist chapel and a full gospel church was opened in 1954.


Fellowship of Independent Evangelical Churches - St Andrew’s Street Small Heath

Dr Crabbe Memorial Mission was established in the former Railway Mission hall in St Andrew’s Street Small Heath in 1948. the mission appears to have been founded about in 1918 in honour of the former superintendent of the Birmingham medical Mission, and occupied the Dr Crabbe Memorial hall, Bordesley Street from1925 to 1947. Immediately prior to the move to St Andrew’s Street, Small Heath it met at a hall in Sandy Lane, belonging to the Presbyterian Church.


Methodists - Coventry Road Small Heath

Chapel was opened by the Wesleyans in 1876 to replace Green Lane chapel.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptism 1868 – 1947

Marriage 1899 - 1961


Methodists - Green Lane Small Heath

The chapel was built by the Wesleyans in 1841. It was replaced by Coventry Road, Small Heath chapel in 1876, and was sold in 1879. It appears subsequently to have been used by a Brethren’s meeting.


Methodists - Muntz Street Small Heath

Chapel was opened by the United Methodists Free Churches in 1870.The church originatedin1861 in a secession from a Congregational Church, and worshipped at first in a small room over a stable in Grange Road. In 1944 the chapel was sold, and later became successively a Full Gospel and an Elim Church.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Marriage 1926 - 1941


Methodists - Prince Albert Street Small Heath

Chapel was registered for public worship by the bible Christians in 1903.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptisms 1912 –1961

Marriages 1927 - 1960


Methodists - Yardley Green Road Small Heath

St Pauls Church was opened by the Primitive Methodists in 1922, and was preceded by another chapel registered for public worship in 1894.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptism 1938 - 1960


Presbyterian Meeting Houses and Unitarian and Free Christian Churches - Waverly Road Small Heath

Chapel was completed in 1898. The congregation originated a mission of the Midland Christian Union, meeting in 1893 at Little Green Lane Board School, and from the following year in Somerville Road.


Salvation Army - Green Lane Small Heath

Hall was in use in 1892.


Salvation Army - Jenkins Street Small Heath

Hall was registered for public worship in 1931.


Seventh Day Adventists - Manse Road Advent Hall Small Heath

A meeting room was registered for public worship from 1941 to 1954, and was a meeting place of the South Birmingham Church founded in 1901. The congregation joined that of Camp Hill.


Seventh Day Adventists - Waverley Road Small Heath


Roman Catholic


Holy Family 1901 Coventry Road (O.S GR SP0985)

The Mission was founded in 1901 from St Ann’s and Mass was said in a workshop in Green Lane until 1903 when a chapel in the upper floor of a new school was opened. The permanent church opened in 1928.