Click Here to go back to District Map
Acocks Green Allens Cross Ashted Aston (Gosta Green) Aston Aston (Juxta) Aston Brook Aston Manor Balsall Heath Bartley Green Bearwood Billesley Birchfield Birmingham Blackwell Bordesley (Camp Hill) Bordesley Bordesley Green Bournbrook Bournville Brandwood Bromford Brookfields California Castle Bromwich Cotteridge Deritend Duddeston Earlswood Edgbaston Erdington Great Barr Greet Hall Green Hamstead Handsworth Harborne Hay Mills Hazelwell Highgate Hockley Hodge Hill Kings Heath Kings Norton Kingstanding Ladywood Longbridge Lozells Moseley Nechells Newtown Northfield Olton Oscott Perry Barr Perry Beeches Pipe Hayes Quinton Rednal Rubery Saltley Selly Oak Shard End Sheldon Shenley Green Small Heath Smethwick Solihull South Yardley Sparkbrook Sparkhill Springfield Spring Hill Stechford Stirchley Summerfield Sutton Coldfield Ward End Washwood Heath West Heath Weoley Castle Winson Green Witton Yardley Yardley Wood RELIGIOUS HOUSES

Church of England Churches

Listed left are Districts/Parish Churches within the City of Birmingham boundary. Clicking on the District will take you to the District Information Page which also shows an approximate Ordnance Survey Grid Reference. Where Birmingham has been indicated this means Birmingham Central. All sources are from Birmingham Central Library archives, Birmingham Diocesan Directory and the Victorian History of the Counties of England. Warwickshire Vol.VII

Unless identified separately & specifically ALL Churches are C of E

C of E

Saltley - St Francis Mission Arden Road

Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1909-1950


C of E

Saltley - St Luke's Mission Cherrywood Road ( O. S GR SP 100867 )

Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1905-1925


C of E

Saltley - St Saviour St Saviour’s Road ( O. S GR. SP 097877)

A parish was assigned out of St Peter and St Paul’s, Aston in 1848; parts of this parish were taken to form the parish of St Mark, Washwood Heath 1907, and part of the parish of St Mary and St John, Shaw Hill 1929.The activity of this church in the early 20th century is indicated by the large number of mission and daughter churches founded from it. St John’s mission room, Couchman Road, licensed as mission of St Saviour’s from 1908, was consecrated in 1935 as St Mary and St John’s, Shaw Hill; Washwood Heath Chapel, licensed as a mission of St Saviour’s from 1890, was consecrated in 1899 as St Mark’s, Washwood Heath ; St Lukes Mission Church ,Cherrywood Road was licensed for public worship from 1901, until the second world war; Saltley Training College Chapel (formerly Saltley Hall Chapel) from 1905; St Francis Mission Church , Arden Road from 1906 to 1926; St Matthew’s Mission Church, Garrison Street from 1906, transferred in 1907 to St Andrew’s, Bordesley ; the mission church of the Carpenter of Nazareth, Adderley Road, from 1907 until second world war; Moat House Convent from 1921 to 1926.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1849-1960

Marriages 1850-1952

Burials 1850-1939

Banns 1964 -1976

Plan of graveyard  


C of E

Shaw Hill - St Mary & St John Alum Rock Road ( O. S GR SP 105877 )

Originated as St John’s mission room Couchman Road, which was licensed as a mission of St Saviour’s, Saltley, from 1908. A site was acquired for a permanent church to be known as St Mary & St John’s in 1913, a Conventional District being attached to it. A parish was assigned out of St Saviour’s, Saltley, St Mark’s, Washwood Heath, and St Margaret’s, Ward End in 1929. Consecrated in 1935


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1909-1964

Marriages 1935-1991

Burials 1951-1962


Non Conformist


Baptist - George Arthur Road Saltley

Chapel was built in 1894. The church was founded by members of Victoria Street, Bordesley Green in 1893 and probably stemmed from a Coventry Road Small Heath mission in Church Road, Saltley.


Brethren - Anthony Road Saltley

Alum Rock Hall was registered for public worship in 1929. It was not in use in 1957.


Brethren - Leigh Road Saltley

Gospel hall was registered for public worship in 1914.


Congregationalists and Independents -  Arden Saltley

Mission was opened in cottage premises by members of the Saltley Road Aston congregation in 1883, and was continued, from 1884, in rooms rented from Arden Road Saltley Board School. The mission was subsequently transferred to Bennett’s Hill House Birmingham and in 1924 to the Welfare Room, Metropolitan Road. In 1934 A shop in High Street, Saltley was acquired and converted.


Free Church of England and reformed Episcopal Church - Alum Rock Road Saltley

Emmanuel Church was in use in 1909. The congregation was founded in 1903. A daughter mission existed in Aston Road for some years after 1913. Ormond Street church Newtown although founded independently, later became a mission of Emmanuel Church and in 1940-1 there was a combined church membership .


Friends - College Road Saltley

Institute was founded by a deed on 1905. From 1918 to 1946 when it was sold, it was administered by the trustees of the William White Memorial School, Windsor Street Aston.


Methodists - Alum Rock Road Saltley

Chapel was opened as a Weselyan chapel in 1893.


Methodists - Washwood Heath Road  Saltley

Chapel was registered for public worship by the United Methodist Free Churches in 1895. It appears to have been preceded by a smaller chapel. The chapel was severely damaged by bombing during the Second World War, and was extensively rebuilt.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptism 1872 – 1973

Marriage 1928 -1972


Other Churches and Missions - Alum  Rock Road Saltley

Mission hall, established by deed of trust in 1925 for use of ‘place of worship’, schools for adults, children, or Band of Hope, or other religious educational meetings.


Other Churches and Missions -  Crawford Street Saltley

Crown Sunday school and Bible Class, was registered for public worship in 1939.


Other Churches and Missions - High Street Saltley

Meeting room was registered for public worship from 1930 to 1952 by the volunteer force.


Other Churches and Missions -  Parkfield Road

Pentecostal Church Saltley was registered for public worship in 1933.


Salvation Army - Alum Rock Road Saltley

Hall was opened in 1935.


Salvation Army - Arden Road Saltley

St Francies Hall was opened in 1928.


Salvation Army - High Street Saltley

Hall was registered for public worship from 1915 to 1930.


Salvation Army - Ronald Road Saltley

Barracks were registered for public worship from 1898 to 1903.


Roman Catholic


Our Lady of the Rosary & St Theresa of Lisieux Parkfield Road / Bridge Road ( O S GR SP0988 )

The mission was established in 1914 and mass was said in Highfield Saltley Council School until a temporary church was opened in 1921. The permanent church opened in 1923 and consecrated in 1934.