Click Here to go back to District Map
Acocks Green Allens Cross Ashted Aston (Gosta Green) Aston Aston (Juxta) Aston Brook Aston Manor Balsall Heath Bartley Green Bearwood Billesley Birchfield Birmingham Blackwell Bordesley (Camp Hill) Bordesley Bordesley Green Bournbrook Bournville Brandwood Bromford Brookfields California Castle Bromwich Cotteridge Deritend Duddeston Earlswood Edgbaston Erdington Great Barr Greet Hall Green Hamstead Handsworth Harborne Hay Mills Hazelwell Highgate Hockley Hodge Hill Kings Heath Kings Norton Kingstanding Ladywood Longbridge Lozells Moseley Nechells Newtown Northfield Olton Oscott Perry Barr Perry Beeches Pipe Hayes Quinton Rednal Rubery Saltley Selly Oak Shard End Sheldon Shenley Green Small Heath Smethwick Solihull South Yardley Sparkbrook Sparkhill Springfield Spring Hill Stechford Stirchley Summerfield Sutton Coldfield Ward End Washwood Heath West Heath Weoley Castle Winson Green Witton Yardley Yardley Wood RELIGIOUS HOUSES

Church of England Churches

Listed left are Districts/Parish Churches within the City of Birmingham boundary. Clicking on the District will take you to the District Information Page which also shows an approximate Ordnance Survey Grid Reference. Where Birmingham has been indicated this means Birmingham Central. All sources are from Birmingham Central Library archives, Birmingham Diocesan Directory and the Victorian History of the Counties of England. Warwickshire Vol.VII

Unless identified separately & specifically ALL Churches are C of E

C of E

Nechells - St Catherine Scholefield Street ( O. S GR SP 0888 approx )

Consecrated 1878. A parish was assigned out of St Clement’s, Nechells, in 1879. The church was closed in 1945,(destroyed by enemy action) the benefice was united in 1951 with that of St Matthew, Duddeston, and the church was demolished. A mission room in Cranbury Street was licensed for public worship 1908 – 26.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1878-1950

Marriages 1879-1951


C of E

Nechells - St Clement Stuart Street ( O. S GR SP 092892 approx )

This church was consecrated 1859, a parish assigned out of St Matthew’s, Duddeston in 1860. Part of the parish was taken to form the parish of St Catherine, Nechells, 1879. A number of missions have been established from St Clement’s; Scholefield Street schoolroom was licensed for public worship 1866- 1907; High Park Street schools, 1908-09 and St Clement’s South mission room, Long Arcre,1908 –26; St Clement’s North mission church, Cuckoo Road (formerly the Cuckoo Road Methodist Chapel) and St Clement’s South mission hall, High Park Street and Thimbermill Lane, were each licensed for public worship 1908 -52,


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1859-1987

Marriages 1860-1986 for marriages 1994 – 1998 (see also St Matthew Duddeston )


Non Conformist


Congregationalists and Independents -  Dartmouth Street Aston

Mission was conducted by Carrs Lane Birmingham chapel from 1883 to 1938. In 1992 the Dartmouth Street Board School was in use.


Methodists - Cook Street Nechells / Long Acre Nechells

Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptism 1863 - 1956


Methodists - Cuckoo Road Nechells

Chapel was built as a mission of rocky Lane United Methodist Free Church in 1878. It was sold in 1883 and was subsequently used by the Church of England.


Methodists - Long Acre Nechells

Ebernezer Chapel was built by Primitive Methodists in 1854.


Methodists - Nechells Park Road Nechells

Chapel was built by the Wesleyans in 1837. The church originated in 1821, when cottage services were begun at Saltley.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptism 1877 - 1964

Marriage 1899 - 1963


Methodists - Rocky Lane Nechells

Chapel was opened by the Wesleyan Reformers in 1854.The Rocky Lane church originated in 1850 when a preaching room was built at Cattles Grove for a new congregation of the Wesleyan Free Church. In 1862 Rocky Lane joined the United Methodist Free Churches, and subsequently became the Connexion’s most important church in Birmingham. The chapel ceased to be registered for public worship in 1946. After it’s closure the congregation joined that worshipping at Nechells Park Road. Rocky Lane was responsible for missions at Cuckoo Lane and Gravely Hill.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptism 1913 –1945

Marriage 1936 - 1941


Other Churches and Missions -  Bloomsbury Street Nechells

Bloomsbury Institution was established in 1860. Devoted largely to educational, social and charitable work. Welsh services were held in 1869.


Presbyterians - Long Acre Nechells

Chapel was opened in 1889 for a congregation founded two years previously. In 1910 a daughter congregation was founded which eventually occupied Holly Lane, Erdington.


Roman Catholic


St Joseph 1867 Thimblemill Lane  Nechells (O.S GR SP0889)

The Roman Catholic cemetery at Nechells was opened in 1850 and was the only one in the borough until part of the borough cemetery, which was served from Nechells, was taken over in 1867. A mortuary chapel designed as the chancel of a future church was opened in 1850, and served from the cathedral until 1867, when it became a separate mission. St Vincent Ashted Row Birmingham was served from here from 1883 to 1885.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptisms 1867 – 1926 (1926 – 1950 returned to parish ) Conditional baptisms 1872 -1926

Marriages 1867 – 1940 ( 1922 – 1940 returned to parish )

Burials 1850 - 1914

Burials index Various years

Burials accounts book 1850 –1867 (contains last address of deceased 1850 - 1867)