Click Here to go back to District Map
Acocks Green Allens Cross Ashted Aston (Gosta Green) Aston Aston (Juxta) Aston Brook Aston Manor Balsall Heath Bartley Green Bearwood Billesley Birchfield Birmingham Blackwell Bordesley (Camp Hill) Bordesley Bordesley Green Bournbrook Bournville Brandwood Bromford Brookfields California Castle Bromwich Cotteridge Deritend Duddeston Earlswood Edgbaston Erdington Great Barr Greet Hall Green Hamstead Handsworth Harborne Hay Mills Hazelwell Highgate Hockley Hodge Hill Kings Heath Kings Norton Kingstanding Ladywood Longbridge Lozells Moseley Nechells Newtown Northfield Olton Oscott Perry Barr Perry Beeches Pipe Hayes Quinton Rednal Rubery Saltley Selly Oak Shard End Sheldon Shenley Green Small Heath Smethwick Solihull South Yardley Sparkbrook Sparkhill Springfield Spring Hill Stechford Stirchley Summerfield Sutton Coldfield Ward End Washwood Heath West Heath Weoley Castle Winson Green Witton Yardley Yardley Wood RELIGIOUS HOUSES

Church of England Churches

Listed left are Districts/Parish Churches within the City of Birmingham boundary. Clicking on the District will take you to the District Information Page which also shows an approximate Ordnance Survey Grid Reference. Where Birmingham has been indicated this means Birmingham Central. All sources are from Birmingham Central Library archives, Birmingham Diocesan Directory and the Victorian History of the Counties of England. Warwickshire Vol.VII

Unless identified separately & specifically ALL Churches are C of E

C of E

Lozells – St Matthias Wheeler Street ( O.S GR SP 069888 )

Situated on the borders of Hockley and Lozells was consecrated 1855. A parish was assigned out of St George’s, Birmingham 1856. Parts of it were taken to form the parish of St Saviour, Birmingham 1874 and part of the parish of St Edward, Birmingham 1899. In 1948 the church was closed and in 1949 the benefice and parish united with those of St Georges, Birmingham


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1856-1948

Marriages 1856-1948


C of E

Lozells - St Paul Lozells Road / Berners Street ( O. S. GR. SP 067894 )

A parish assigned out of St Silas’s Lozells in 1881.The Porchester Street mission room was licensed for public worship from 1895 until the Second World War, St Peter’s mission ,Burners Street from 1908 – 1926, and the Toch H, Clifford Street from 1926 –1937.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1880-1976

Marriages 1881-1981


C of E

Lozells - St Silas Church Street / St Silas Square ( O. S GR SP 060894 )

Consecrated 1854. A parish was assigned out of St Peter and St Paul’s, Aston in 1854; parts of it were taken to form the parish of St Paul, Lozells 1881, and part of the parish of St Mary, Aston Brook 1864.The schoolroom in Park Lane was licensed for public worship from1862 – 1891; St Silas’s mission room, Nursery Road, from 1908 – 1926.

Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1854 - 1964

Marriages 1854 - 1962


Non Conformist


Baptist - Guildford Street Lozells

Chapel a hall taken under the charge of Christ Church Victoria Road Six Ways Aston in1867. The church formed in 1880 originated in a mission undertaken by Heneage Street Aston at the Asylum Summer Lane Hockley in 1856. The chapel ceased to be registered for public worship in 1954.


Brethren - Lozells Road Aston Manor

Fairbairn Hall was registered for public worship in 1911. In 1919 it was re-certified as Hartington Hall. It was not included among the Brethren’s meetings 1957.


Congregationalists : Welsh Congregationalists. - Wheeler Street Lozells

Chapel was completed in 1872. The church originated in a meeting held at the Temperance Hotel, Moor Street, Birmingham in 1860 . A church was formed in 1861, which, in 1864, was meeting at Ann Street, Birmingham Temperance Hall. The first chapel, was said to have been secured in 1868 but in 1872 the Welsh Congregationalists were meeting at the Boatman’s Chapel Crescent Locks.


Congregationalists and Independents -  Wheeler Street Lozells

Chapel was opened in 1839. The church originated in 1833 when a Sunday School was opened in a farmhouse in Lozells Lane (later renamed Lozells Road).In 1942 the buildings were badly damaged by bombing, and the congregation shared the use of St George’s Presbyterian Church for a time. The chapel of 1839 in use as a church hall after 1863 was restored and reopened for services in 1947. The shell of the later building was still standing in 1961. Members of Wheeler Street church were responsible for mission work resulting in the opening in 1879 of Westminster Road Birchfield chapel.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptism 1891 – 1926


Friends - Hospital Street Lozells

Prince of Wales hall a former public house, was reopened as an adult school in 1901.In 1904 it was the meeting place branch of the Christian Society. It was closed in 1957.


Methodists - George Street Lozells

Aston Villa chapel, was built by the Wesleyans in 1850. In 1865 it was replaced by a new building. The church was founded by members of Constitution Hill, Birmingham church. In 1887 George Street took charge of a mission in Porchester Street, which was eventually transferred to Lozells Street.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptism 1850 – 1962

Marriage 1867 - 1962


Methodists - Lozells Street

Chapel was opened by Wesleyans in 1894. the church originated as a mission founded before 1878 in rooms in Porchester Street, and taken over in the year by the George Street Lozells church. The mission was shortly afterwards transferred to Lozells Street Board School.


Methodists - Unett Street Lozells

Chapel was built by the Methodist New Connexion in 1838. The chapel ceased to be registered for public worship in 1946.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Marriage 1941 -1945


Other Churches and Missions - Berners Street Lozells

Bethel Pentecostal Tabernacle, was registered for public worship in 1934.


Salvation Army - Great Hampton Row Lozells

Hall was registered for public worship 1938 to 1952.


Salvation Army - Heaton Street Lozells

Hall was registered for public worship from 1881 to 1895.


Salvation Army - Nursery Road Lozells

Hall was in use in 1892.


Spiritualists - John Street Lozells

St Dunstans Christian Spiritualists Hall was registered for public worship in 1953. A Spiritualist church is to have existed on the site from 1909 to 1940.