Click Here to go back to District Map
Acocks Green Allens Cross Ashted Aston (Gosta Green) Aston Aston (Juxta) Aston Brook Aston Manor Balsall Heath Bartley Green Bearwood Billesley Birchfield Birmingham Blackwell Bordesley (Camp Hill) Bordesley Bordesley Green Bournbrook Bournville Brandwood Bromford Brookfields California Castle Bromwich Cotteridge Deritend Duddeston Earlswood Edgbaston Erdington Great Barr Greet Hall Green Hamstead Handsworth Harborne Hay Mills Hazelwell Highgate Hockley Hodge Hill Kings Heath Kings Norton Kingstanding Ladywood Longbridge Lozells Moseley Nechells Newtown Northfield Olton Oscott Perry Barr Perry Beeches Pipe Hayes Quinton Rednal Rubery Saltley Selly Oak Shard End Sheldon Shenley Green Small Heath Smethwick Solihull South Yardley Sparkbrook Sparkhill Springfield Spring Hill Stechford Stirchley Summerfield Sutton Coldfield Ward End Washwood Heath West Heath Weoley Castle Winson Green Witton Yardley Yardley Wood RELIGIOUS HOUSES

Church of England Churches

Listed left are Districts/Parish Churches within the City of Birmingham boundary. Clicking on the District will take you to the District Information Page which also shows an approximate Ordnance Survey Grid Reference. Where Birmingham has been indicated this means Birmingham Central. All sources are from Birmingham Central Library archives, Birmingham Diocesan Directory and the Victorian History of the Counties of England. Warwickshire Vol.VII

Unless identified separately & specifically ALL Churches are C of E

C of E

Ladywood - St Barnabas Ryland Street ( O.S. GR SP 056863 )

Consecrated in 1860. A parish was assigned out of St Martin’s, Birmingham in 1896. The parish was enlarged in 1901 by part (formerly part of the parish of Christ Church, Birmingham) of St Philip’s, Birmingham. A mission room in Grosvenor Street West was licensed for public worship 1908 –1920.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1860-1954

Marriages 1861-1954

Confirmations 1936-1954


C of E

Ladywood - St John the Evangelist Monument Road /Wood Road  ( O. S. GR. SP 050867 )

Consecrated in 1854. A parish has been assigned out of St Martin’s Birmingham in 1854. parts of the parish were taken to form the parishes of St Margaret, Ladywood (1876) and Christ Church, Summerfield (1885). Missions licensed for public were at Coplow Street,1868 – 93, Johnstone Street, 1872-93 and 24 Freeth Street ,1908-26


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1854-1964

Marriages 1854-1956


C of E

Ladywood - St Margaret of Antioch Ledsam Street / Alston Street  ( O.S. GR SP 0586 approx )

Consecrated in 1875. A parish was assigned out of St John’s, Ladywood in 1876.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1875-1955

Marriages 1876-1955


C of E

Ladywood - St Mark King Edward’s Road (O.S GR SP 055873 )

Consecrated in 1841. A parish was assigned out of St Martin’s, Birmingham in 1843, part was taken to form part of the parish of St Peter, Birmingham (1902). In 1947 the church was closed, and the benefice and parish united with those of St Paul, Birmingham. The Old School in King Edward’s Road was licensed for mission services 1908 -14


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1841-1948

Marriages 1850-1947


Non Conformist


Baptist - Edward Street Ladywood

Church of the Saviour (see also Methodist)


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptisms. (see also Methodists) 1896 - 1909


Brethren - Rann Street Ladywood

Was open in 1892. It was in use in 1957.


Brethren - St Mary Street

Gospel room was registered for public worship from 1887 to 1925.


Methodists - Edward Street Ladywood

Church of the Saviour, formerly an Independent Unitarian chapel was acquired by the Primitive Methodists in 1896, and was registered by them for public worship from 1897 to 1909, when the registration was transferred to Spring Hill chapel. (see also Baptist).


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptism 1896 - 1909


Methodists - Ickneild Square  Ladywood

Mission hall was opened by the Wesleyans shortly before 1881.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptism 1900 - 1958


Methodists - Ledsam Street Ladywood

Chapel, a Wesleyan place of worship, is mentioned from 1856 to 1872.


Methodists - Marroway Street Ladywood

Chapel was registered for public worship by the Bible Chritians from 1888 to 1902.


Methodists - Monument Road  Ladywood (formerly Icknield Street West)

Methodist New Connexion chapel was registered for public worship as a school chapel in 1861. In 1876 a chapel to replace it was registered, it appears to have been built before 1874.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptism 1860 – 1978

Marriage 1899 – 1966


Methodists - Monument Road  Ladywood (formerly Icknield Street West)

Wesleyan chapel was in use in 1859.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptism 1860 – 1978

Marriages 1899 - 1966


Methodists - Moreville Street  Ladywood

Galilean Chapel was opened by the Primitive Methodists about 1854. the chapel ceased to be registered for public worship in 1953.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptism 1862 – 1963

Marriage 1916 – 1948


Spiritualists - Ladywood Road  Ladywood

Church was registered for public worship by the Christian Spiritualists from 1931 to 1952.


Swedenborgians (new Jerusalem Church) - Ladywood Road

Ladywood chapel was in use in 1892.


The Christian Community - Monument Road Ladywood

Mission hall was registered for public worship in 1949.