Click Here to go back to District Map
Acocks Green Allens Cross Ashted Aston (Gosta Green) Aston Aston (Juxta) Aston Brook Aston Manor Balsall Heath Bartley Green Bearwood Billesley Birchfield Birmingham Blackwell Bordesley (Camp Hill) Bordesley Bordesley Green Bournbrook Bournville Brandwood Bromford Brookfields California Castle Bromwich Cotteridge Deritend Duddeston Earlswood Edgbaston Erdington Great Barr Greet Hall Green Hamstead Handsworth Harborne Hay Mills Hazelwell Highgate Hockley Hodge Hill Kings Heath Kings Norton Kingstanding Ladywood Longbridge Lozells Moseley Nechells Newtown Northfield Olton Oscott Perry Barr Perry Beeches Pipe Hayes Quinton Rednal Rubery Saltley Selly Oak Shard End Sheldon Shenley Green Small Heath Smethwick Solihull South Yardley Sparkbrook Sparkhill Springfield Spring Hill Stechford Stirchley Summerfield Sutton Coldfield Ward End Washwood Heath West Heath Weoley Castle Winson Green Witton Yardley Yardley Wood RELIGIOUS HOUSES

Church of England Churches

Listed left are Districts/Parish Churches within the City of Birmingham boundary. Clicking on the District will take you to the District Information Page which also shows an approximate Ordnance Survey Grid Reference. Where Birmingham has been indicated this means Birmingham Central. All sources are from Birmingham Central Library archives, Birmingham Diocesan Directory and the Victorian History of the Counties of England. Warwickshire Vol.VII

Unless identified separately & specifically ALL Churches are C of E

C of E

Hockley - All Saints All Saints Street / Lodge Road ( O. S. GR. SP 0588  approx )

Consecrated in 1833.Parish was assigned out of St Martin’s 1834.

The following parishes were created out of All Saints Parish; St Cuthbert’s 1872, St Chrysostom 1890, St Peter Birmingham 1902. A large number of mission churches and rooms and other places in the parish have been licensed for public worship: St Simon’s Mission Church, Heaton Street and Ickneild Street. (so called St Simon’s Mission from1894 and St Saviour’s Mission 1907 –10 since 1856; Winson Street Mission 1869 – 72 ; Park Road or St Chrysostom’s Mission opened 1888 consecrated as St Chrysostom; St Michael’s Mission, Camden Street. ( known as St Michael’s from 1894), 1891 –1903; Heath Street Mission opened in a schoolroom 1863, consecrated as St Cuthbert’s; St John’s Mission, Crabtree Road (known as Church Army Mission Prescott Street., 1910 – 16, and St John’s Mission from 1917 ), 1908 –26; Dudley Road Hospital and Western House, (Birmingham Infirmary) since 1924. Destroyed by fire 1831


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1833-1972

Marriages 1835-1972

Burials 1833-1904


C of E

Hockley - St Chrysostom (Mission) Soho Road / Park Road (O.S.GR SP )

Was opened in 1888 as a mission church of All Saints, Birmingham and consecrated in 1889.A parish was assigned out of All Saint’s in 1890. Part of the parish was taken to form part of the parish of Bishop Latimer, Birmingham (1904)


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1888-1970

Marriages 1890-1970

Banns 1966 -1972

Church warden accounts 1888 - 1905


C of E

Hockley - St Edward New John Street West ( O. S. GR. SP 067886 approx )

Built about 1853 as a Presbyterian church. In 1896 it was bought and presented to the church of England and was licensed as a mission room of St Stephen’s, Birmingham. It was consecrated as an Anglican Church in 1898. A parish was assigned out of St Stephen’s Birmingham, and St Matthias’s Birmingham in 1899. The benefice was united with that of St Nicolas, Birmingham in 1942 and in 1949 the parish was merged with that of St George, Birmingham. St Edward’s church was subsequently closed but was reopened as St George’s Church in 1959. A mission hall in Theodore Street was licensed for public worship 1914 –26.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1896-1947

Marriages 1898-1947


C of E

Hockley - St George Tower Street / Great Hampton Row (O.S.GR. SP 067882 )

Consecrated in 1822. The church was enlarged in 1884 and it was demolished in 1960. A parish was assigned out of St Martin’s, Birmingham in 1830. Parts of the parish of St Stephen, Birmingham 1844 and St Matthias, Birmingham 1856. In 1949 the parish was enlarged by the addition of the parishes of St Nicolas, Birmingham, St Edward, Birmingham and St Mathias, Birmingham, and in 1950 by part of the parish of St Stephen. The benefices of St Matthias and St Nicolas With St Edward were joined with the benefice of St George to form the united benefice of St George in 1949. The following places in the parish were licensed for public worship; new Summer Street Schoolroom, 1867 –90; Smith Street mission hall,1867-1926; William Street mission hall 1890-1926. Demolished 1959 - 1960


Neighbouring parishes

Aston, Bishop Ryder, St Mary, St Paul


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1823 –1973

Marriages 1830 –1956

Burials 1822 -1916

BMGSH register copies

CD Rom - D025 Greater Birmingham Miscellany (includes other churches) - Baptisms. 1813 –1858 Marriages 1813 –1858. Burials 1823 –1837.  

Fiche – M026 –Baptisms 1823 –1837. Marriages 1830 – 1837, Burials 1823 –1837. Late adult baptisms 1858  

Bishops Transcripts at Lichfield.

Baptisms 1823 - 1846

Marriages 1830 - 1837

Burials 1823 - 1846

Gazetteer/Directory entries


C of E

Hockley - St Michael & All Angels Warstone Lane / Vyse Street ( O. S. GR. SP 0687 approx )

Consecrated in 1848 but was closed a few years later. It was reopened in 1869 as a chapel of ease to St Paul’s, Birmingham, and from then or soon was used only as a cemetery chapel .The church was badly damaged in the Second World War and was demolished about 1933. The cemetery was acquired by the city corporation in 1951, and Key Hill chapel, formerly Methodist, but by 1956 non-denominational was used as the mortuary chapel


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

None  


C of E

Hockley - St Nicolas Lower Tower Street ( O. S. GR. SP 0688 approx )

Consecrated in 1868. A parish was assigned to it out of St Stephen’s, Birmingham in 1869. In 1942 the benefice was united with that of St Edward, Birmingham to form the united benefice of St Nicolas and St Edward. The church was closed in 1947 and subsequently demolished.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1868 - 1941

Marriages 1869 - 1942


C of E

Hockley - St Paul (& St Mark the Jewellers Church) St Paul’s Square ( O.S.GR. SP 065875 )

Built between 1777 and 1779 as a chapel of ease to St Martins, Birmingham under an act of 1772. In 1841 a parish formed out of St Martin’s was assigned to the church. And a further part of St Martin’s was added to the parish in 1900. In 1947 the parishes and benefice’s of St Paul, Birmingham, and St Mark, Birmingham, were joined to form the parish and united benefice of St Paul and St Mark. The chapel of St Michael and All Angels, Birmingham in Warstone Lane, though consecrated in the 1840’s was regarded as a mission chapel of St Paul’s between 1917 and 1926. Cathedral House at 71 Newhall Street was licensed as a mission room from 1909 to 1920.


Neighbouring parishes

St George,Aston, Bishop Ryder, St Mary, St Philip, Christ Church


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1779 –1963, 1779 – 1812 withdrawn

Marriages 1841 -1982

Burials 1779 - 1939

Confirmations 1892 –1946

Banns 1841 – 1951

Register of services 1867 –1948

Grave locations 1833 - 64

Index baptisms 1897 -1926

Index burials 1779 - 1921

BMSGH register copies

CD Rom : D025 Greater Birmingham Miscellany includes other churches. bapt. 1779 - 1832  

Fiche : M053 -bapt. 1779 –1832 includes St John Deritend


C of E

Hockley – St Peter Spring Hill / George Street West (O. S. GR. SP 054876)

Consecrated in 1902. A parish was assigned out of All Saints, Birmingham and St Mark’s, Birmingham in he same year. Under the Birmingham Churches Act of 1807 the benefice of St Peter, Birmingham ( Dale End ) was transferred to this church.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1902 - 1960

Marriages 1903 - 1989

Burials 1935 - 1974


C of E

Hockley - St Saviour Bridge Street / Farm Street ( O. S. GR. SP 061887 )

In 1967 the benefice of St Saviour was united with St Silas, Lozells and the united benefice became know as St Silas Lozells


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1874-1962

Marriages 1875-1961

Banns 1943-1962


Non Conformist


Assemblies of God - Lodge Road  Hockley

Pentecostal Church formerly a Baptist Chapel, was bought in 1954. The congregation was founded in 1940, and met originally above a café in Hockley Hill Hockley. A shop in Hockley Brook Hockley was subsequently converted for worship. From 1945 weekday meetings began to be held in the vestry of the Lodge Road Witton chapel, which had been severely damaged by bombing, reopened in 1955.


Baptist - Anderton Street Hockley

Bethany Chapel was in use in1875. 1892 at this date it was a mission of Mount Zion Chapel Graham Street Birmingham In 1898 it was re-opened by the Churches of Christ.


Baptist - Bond Street Hockley

Chapel as built in 1786 by members of the Cannon Street Birmingham church who had seceded in 1784. Before the opening of the chapel the congregation had met for a time in a private house, in the open air, and in a room in Needless Alley Birmingham. In 1859 to 1860 a joint church that had adopted the tenants of the Churches of Christ used the chapel. Although the church returned to more orthodox Baptist practises in 1860. Annexation in 1880 to the King Street Sparkbrook people chapel failed to save the situation and the chapel ceased to be used by the Baptists by 1884. In 1886 the United Methodist Free Church acquired it until 1890. In 1787 members were regularly preaching at Erdington, Yardley, Beeches Lane Quinton and Heeley, and in 1791 at Coppice, near Coseley, where a daughter church was founded. In the 19th century new chapels were opened at Beech Lane Quinton 1824, Harborne 1836, and Lodge Road Hockley.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department


Baptist - Graham Street Hockley

Mount Zion Chapel was opened in 1824 as St Andrews Presbyterian Church and first used as a Baptist chapel in 1827. In 1846 the chapel was forced to close for some months. By 1851 however it had been reopened. In 1853 work had begun building of Spring Hill Winson Green chapel and in 1855 aching station was opened in Icknield Port Road Summerfield. In 1860 Carter Lane Quinton mission chapel was taken over from Bond Street Hockley and in 1866 the Ellen Street Winson Green domestic mission opened. In 1882 a new chapel in Hagley Road Edgbaston most of the congregation migrated to in 1882.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptisms 1821 - 1837


Baptist - Great King Street Hockley

Peoples Chapel was opened in 1848.by members of Newhall Street Birmingham The first building was destroyed by fire in 1887 and replaced by a second larger chapel. In 1851 members were responsible for a slum mission in Stayney Street but this appears to been given up by 1892. During the 1930’s the Peoples Chapel played a leading part in mission work in the “new areas” and in particular Kingstanding and Perry Barr where new chapels were eventually opened.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Marriages 1923 -1982


Baptist - Lodge Road Hockley

Chapel opened in 1860 was replaced in 1868. In 1892.It was renovated in 1902. it was severely damaged in the Second World War and was sold to the Assemblies of God in 1954. Members of Bond Street Hockley founded the church in 1858.


Baptists – Strict Baptists - Frederick Street Hockley

Salem chapel was registered for public worship in 1851 by a congregation of Calvinists formerly of the Cave of Adllam, Bartholomew Street, Birmingham and temporarily accommodated at the Salem chapel, Peck Lane. A baptistery was built for the chapel at the beginning of 1862.


Brethren - New John Street West Hockley

Free mission hall attracted in 1892 the largest Brethren congregation.


Catholic Apostolic Church - Villa Street Hockley

Evangelist’s chapel was erected in 1851. It is possibly identifiable with Villa Street chapel, was registered for public worship in 1857, and used by the Latter Day Saints and the Unitarians successively.


Christadelphians - Summer Lane Hockley

Chapel was used by the Christadelphians for some time after it’s abandonment by the Swedenborgians in 1867 and was used in 1879.


Church of Christ - Bond Street Hockley

Baptist Chapel was occupied from 1859 to 1860 by a church, which had adopted the tenets of the Churches of Christ.


Church of Christ - Geach Street Hockley

Chapel built in 1869 for a church founded from Charles Henry Street Digbeth in 1865. The chapel was temporary demolished by bombing in 1941. In 1957 temporary premises had been erected on the site.


Congregationalists and Independents -  Graham Street Hockley

Highbury chapel was opened in 1844, In 1897 the church migrated to Soho Hill Hockley where a new chapel was opened. A church subsequently formed in the abandoned chapel by the former minister of Monument Road Ladywood Methodists New Connexion chapel. From 1913 the premises were registered as the Highbury Hall until in 1930, they were sold and reopened by the Elim Church.


Congregationalists and Independents -  Well Street Hockley

Chapel was in use in 1892 when there was a Sunday evening congregation. It was mentioned in the Birmingham Red Book for 1890 and 1894.


Jehovah’s Witnesses - Hunter’s Road  Hockley

Bible Students Institute, was registered for public worship from 1915 to 1925, and from 1918 by a congregation of “Old Baptists”.


Latter-day Saints (Mormons) - Farm  Street Hockley

Chapel was in use from 1860 and appears to have replaced Villa Street, Hockley. It was closed in 1900, the congregation moving to Wrentham Road Hockley.


Latter-day Saints (Mormons) - Villa Street Hockley

Chapel was occupied by the latter-day Saints from 1853 to 1860.


Latter-day Saints (Mormons) -  Wrenthan Road Hockley

Assembly rooms were used from 1900 to 1913 by the congregation formerly meeting at Farm Street, Hockley. The congregation subsequently moved to Booth Street, Birmingham chapel.


Methodists - Branston Street Hockley

Chapel was built by Wesleyan reformers in the early 1850’s, and was registered for public worship in 1856. It continued to appear in the directories until 1897, although the registration was cancelled in 1895.


Methodists - Bridge Street Hockley

Chapel was built by the Methodist new Connexion in 1849. It appears to have been closed before 1856 and was possibly later used as the Boatmen’s Bethel.


Methodists - Crabtree Road Hockley

Brookfield Chapel, belonging to the Methodist New Connexion, is mentioned from 1886 to 1894. The chapel was acquired by a congregation of Strict Baptist in 1897.


Methodists - Whitmore Street Hockley Hill

Chapel was opened by the Primitive Methodists in 1876. it ceased to be registered for public worship in 1925.


Other Churches and Missions -  Crabtree Road Hockley

The terrace mission room was registered for public worship in 1927.


Other Churches and Missions - Farm Street Hockley

Hall was registered for public worship from 18009 to 1952.


Presbyterian Meeting Houses and Unitarian and Free Christian Churches - Villa Street Hockley

Chapel was registered for public worship from 1857 to 1863 and may be identifiable with a Catholic Apostolic chapel opened in 1851, and subsequently used by the Latter Day Saints. Regular services were being conducted by the Birmingham District Unitarian Association in 1860.


Presbyterians - New John Street West Hockley

Chapel appears in a Birmingham directory for 1858, and was probably built at or soon after the founding of the congregation in 1853. In 1892 the congregation had by then moved to Handsworth. In 1896 the chapel was sold and was later consecrated as the Anglican Church of St Edward, the congregation moving to a new place of worship in Heathfield Road Handsworth.


Swedenborgians (new Jerusalem Church) - Ickneild Street East Hockley

New Church was open in 1868. in 1875 the premises were in use as a chapel of All Saint’s Church.


Welsh Presbyterians ( Welsh Calvinistic Methodists) - Hockley Hill Hockley Soho chapel was built in 1868.