Click Here to go back to District Map
Acocks Green Allens Cross Ashted Aston (Gosta Green) Aston Aston (Juxta) Aston Brook Aston Manor Balsall Heath Bartley Green Bearwood Billesley Birchfield Birmingham Blackwell Bordesley (Camp Hill) Bordesley Bordesley Green Bournbrook Bournville Brandwood Bromford Brookfields California Castle Bromwich Cotteridge Deritend Duddeston Earlswood Edgbaston Erdington Great Barr Greet Hall Green Hamstead Handsworth Harborne Hay Mills Hazelwell Highgate Hockley Hodge Hill Kings Heath Kings Norton Kingstanding Ladywood Longbridge Lozells Moseley Nechells Newtown Northfield Olton Oscott Perry Barr Perry Beeches Pipe Hayes Quinton Rednal Rubery Saltley Selly Oak Shard End Sheldon Shenley Green Small Heath Smethwick Solihull South Yardley Sparkbrook Sparkhill Springfield Spring Hill Stechford Stirchley Summerfield Sutton Coldfield Ward End Washwood Heath West Heath Weoley Castle Winson Green Witton Yardley Yardley Wood RELIGIOUS HOUSES

Church of England Churches

Listed left are Districts/Parish Churches within the City of Birmingham boundary. Clicking on the District will take you to the District Information Page which also shows an approximate Ordnance Survey Grid Reference. Where Birmingham has been indicated this means Birmingham Central. All sources are from Birmingham Central Library archives, Birmingham Diocesan Directory and the Victorian History of the Counties of England. Warwickshire Vol.VII

Unless identified separately & specifically ALL Churches are C of E

C of E

Highgate - St David Bissel Street ( O. S. GR. SP 075856 approx )

Consecrated in 1865. A parish was assigned out of St Luke’s Birmingham in 1866. The church was closed in 1947.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1865-1945

Marriages 1866-1947


C of E

Highgate – St Luke Bristol Street ( O S GR. SP 069856 )

Consecrated in 1842, a newer church was consecrated on the same site in 1903. A parish was assigned out of St Martin’s, Birmingham in 1843, part of it was taken to form the parish of St David, Birmingham (1866). St Lukes mission house in Bromsgrove Street was licensed for public worship, 1902 –22. In 1902, Sunday Services were held in a combined music hall, toffee factory and skating rink.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives

Baptisms 1842-1970

Marriages 1843-1990 marriages for 1940 – 1942 are entered in the register of the parish of St Asaph


C of E

Highgate - St Patrick Frank Street ( O.S.GR. SP076853 )

Originated as St Patrick’s School chapel licensed as a mission of St Alban’s, Bordesley in 1873; a separate chapel was opened in 1889 and a permanent church was opened under the bishops license in 1896. Consecrated in 1889. A parish was assigned out of St Alban’s, Bordesley, St Paul’s, Balsall Heath and St Thomas in the Moors, Balsall Heath, in 1900.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1897-1964

Marriages 1900-1964


Non Conformist


Assemblies of God - Belgrave Road Highgate

Glad Tidings Hall was registered for public worship in 1953.


Baptist - Gooch Street Highgate

Tabernacle was he final address of a mission first established in Wynne Street Highgate by members of Bradford Street Digbeth in 1882, Services were always held in a hired room and were discontinued in 1911.


Baptist - Hope Street Highgate

The first Hope Street mission under care of Bristol Street Wycliffe Church was established in the Alexandra assembly rooms by 1881. In 1900 when Oxford Road, Moseley took over the work a very dilapidated building was in use and in 1906 a new hall was built as a memorial to S A Daniel,.Hope Street Highgate Emmanuel Free Church was opened in 1854, as a mission Sunday school , and served as a free Baptist chapel unconnected with the Baptist Union.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Marriages. 1956


Baptist - Longmore Street

The Lombard Street Birmingham church opened Highgate tabernacle in 1866 after mission meetings the previous year in Lower Hurst Street Birmingham. The church was dissolved in 1905.


Congregationalists and Independents -  Darwin Street Highgate

Chapel was in use in 1858 and is probably identifiable with a building belonging to T P Buckingham registered for public worship from 1854 to 1863.


Congregationalists and Independents -  Gooch Street Highgate

Chapel was purchased by Carrs Lane Birmingham Town Mission from Lady Huntingdon’s Connexion in 1861, and reopened as a school and mission station. In 1875 the church previously established at Bordesley Street Bordesley moved to Gooch Street. The church was dissolved in 1894 and in 1897 the chapel was sold to the Friends.


Congregationalists and Independents -  Moseley Street Highgate

Hall was bought in 1897 by Carrs Lane Birmingham Town Mission from the Methodist New Connexion when the latter congregation, moved to a church in Ombersley Road. The building was extensively altered and the missions formerly carried on at Fazeley Street and Rea Street Board School were united to form the nucleus of the workers at the new mission. The mission appears to be closed between 1911 and 1912.


Friends - Alcester Street Highgate

Brothers Well Met mission and social club was built in 1903. It was sold to the corporation in 1919 for use as a school clinic.


Friends - Belgrave Road Highgate

Mission hall was in use in 1906. It was closed before 1920.


Friends - Conybeare Street Highgate

Mission hall, was in use in 1844. it was replaced in 1886 by new premises in Upper Highgate Street Highgate.


Friends - Gooch Street Highgate

Hall, formerly belonging to the Congregationalists was in use in 1895 for Christian Society meetings and from 1905 until 1921 was recognised as a Particular Meeting. It was closed for worship before 1954. The premises were severely damaged by bombing in the Second World War.


Friends - Montpellier Street Highgate

Rooms, in a laundry, were in use as a Christian Society meeting place in 1878. In 1882 the meetings were transferred to the Moseley Road Board School.


Friends - Upper Highgate Street  Highgate

Mission hall was opened in 1886, to accommodate an adult school and mission begun at Conybeare Street 1884. In 1899 the classes were moved to Moseley Road but the hall was still used by the Christian Society.


Lady Huntingdon’s Connexion - Gooch Street Highgate

Chapel was registered as an ‘Independent Calvanist’ chapel in 1851 in lieu of Peck Lane Birmingham. It was sold to Carrs Lane Birmingham Town Mission in 1861.


Methodists - Gooch Street Highgate

Bethesda Chapel, was built by the Primitive Methodists in 1852. It was replaced by the Bristol Hall, Bristol Street in 1899.


Methodists - Hope Street Highgate

Chapel was registered for public worship by the Wesleyan reformers in 1864, and re-registered by the United Methodist Free Churches in 1875. It ceased to appear in the Birmingham directories after 1878.


Methodists - Ravenhurst Street  Highgate

Alms Houses meeting-room was opened in 1849 as a Wesleyan mission.


Presbyterian Meeting Houses and Unitarian and Free Christian Churches - Old Meeting Church  Birmingham/Highgate

Various records 1885 - 1949


The Christian Community - Bristol Road Highgate

Meeting room in the schoolhouse of the Old Meeting church was opened a the first permanent chapel of the Christian Community in Birmingham in 1946. The congregation founded in 1942 had formerly met in rented premises in the same street. In 1950 it moved to Wentworth Road, Harborne.