Click Here to go back to District Map
Acocks Green Allens Cross Ashted Aston (Gosta Green) Aston Aston (Juxta) Aston Brook Aston Manor Balsall Heath Bartley Green Bearwood Billesley Birchfield Birmingham Blackwell Bordesley (Camp Hill) Bordesley Bordesley Green Bournbrook Bournville Brandwood Bromford Brookfields California Castle Bromwich Cotteridge Deritend Duddeston Earlswood Edgbaston Erdington Great Barr Greet Hall Green Hamstead Handsworth Harborne Hay Mills Hazelwell Highgate Hockley Hodge Hill Kings Heath Kings Norton Kingstanding Ladywood Longbridge Lozells Moseley Nechells Newtown Northfield Olton Oscott Perry Barr Perry Beeches Pipe Hayes Quinton Rednal Rubery Saltley Selly Oak Shard End Sheldon Shenley Green Small Heath Smethwick Solihull South Yardley Sparkbrook Sparkhill Springfield Spring Hill Stechford Stirchley Summerfield Sutton Coldfield Ward End Washwood Heath West Heath Weoley Castle Winson Green Witton Yardley Yardley Wood RELIGIOUS HOUSES

Church of England Churches

Listed left are Districts/Parish Churches within the City of Birmingham boundary. Clicking on the District will take you to the District Information Page which also shows an approximate Ordnance Survey Grid Reference. Where Birmingham has been indicated this means Birmingham Central. All sources are from Birmingham Central Library archives, Birmingham Diocesan Directory and the Victorian History of the Counties of England. Warwickshire Vol.VII

Unless identified separately & specifically ALL Churches are C of E

C of E

Hall Green – Job Marston Chapel / Hall Green Chapel / Church of Ascension Fox Hollies Road / School Road ( O.S. GR. SP109818 )

The church also called Hall Green Chapel and originally known as Job Marston Chapel. Became a parish church when a parish was assigned out of Yardley in 1907.  In 1907 parts of Hall Green parish were transferred to the parishes of St Mary, Acocks Green, and St John, Sparkhill, and part of the latter was transferred to Hall Green.


Neighbouring parishes

Castle Bromwich, Sheldon, Yardley, Bordesley, Aston


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1704 – 1970

Marriages 1704 – 1984

Burials 1705 – 1899

Banns 1960 - 1970

See also St Newburgh Yardley  

Baptisms 1761 – 1812

Burials 1761 - 1812

Entries included in the general volume. But it’s not indicated that they or Marston Chapel entries until 1761  

BMGSH register copies

CD Rom – D025 - Greater Birmingham Miscellany (includes other churches)

Baptisms & burials 1704 – 1840.

Marriages 1704 –1746.

Fiche M073 –

Baptisms & Burials 1704 – 1840.

Marriages 1704 - 1746


C of E

Hall Green - St Peter Highfield Road ( O.S.GR. SP 101807 )

St Peter’s Church Hall Green was a temporary building erected 1922 and licensed as a Mission of Christ Church Yardley Wood from 1923. It was originally known as St Cadoc’s Guyana Dale to which some of the records listed relate. In 1954 a conventional district was attached to the Mission Church and the name changed to St Peter’s.

 

Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1953-1992

Marriages 1955-1989

Banns 1959-1992

Confirmations 1954 - 1984


Non Conformist


Baptist - Stratford Road Hall Green

Chapel was opened in 1936. Baptist activity in the district began in 1912, with the holding of services in the Reading Room at the corner of Hamlet Road Hall Green (subsequently a friends meeting house) and a church was formed in 1914, Disbanded in 1924 the church was reformed the following year and a temporary chapel was opened in 1926.


Christadelphians - York Road Hall Green

School was used from 1940 by a meeting founded in 1938.


Congregationalists and Independents -  Etwall Road Hall Green

Chapel was opened in 1929. The church was formed in the same year.


Friends - Stratford Road Hall Green

Meetinghouse, erected in 1883, was used by a Christian Society mission in 1908.


Methodists - Gospel Lane / Redstone Farm Road Hall Green

Chapel, was opened in 1935. The congregation had met previously in the Severn Road Council School. In 1932 the church was Primitive Methodists.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Marriage 1956 - 1966


Methodists - Hall Green

Meeting house, described in 1829, as a ‘newly erected schoolroom’.


Methodists - Reddings Lane Hall Green

Chapel, was opened by the Wesleyans in 1924.


Methodists - Redstone Farm Road Hall Green

Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Marriages 1956 -1966


Other Churches and Missions -  Wycombe Road / Stratford Road Hall Green

Meeting room was registered for public worship in 1942.


Spiritualists - York Road Hall Green

Spiritualists Church was registered for public worship in 1953. The members had previously used a meeting-room in Stratford Road, registered in 1943.


Gazetteer/Directory entries

Hall Green, eccl. dist. and ry. sta., G.W.R., in Birmingham, 4 m S.E. of Snow Hill station; P.O.; dist., pop. 3459. [Bartholomew 1943]