Click Here to go back to District Map
Acocks Green Allens Cross Ashted Aston (Gosta Green) Aston Aston (Juxta) Aston Brook Aston Manor Balsall Heath Bartley Green Bearwood Billesley Birchfield Birmingham Blackwell Bordesley (Camp Hill) Bordesley Bordesley Green Bournbrook Bournville Brandwood Bromford Brookfields California Castle Bromwich Cotteridge Deritend Duddeston Earlswood Edgbaston Erdington Great Barr Greet Hall Green Hamstead Handsworth Harborne Hay Mills Hazelwell Highgate Hockley Hodge Hill Kings Heath Kings Norton Kingstanding Ladywood Longbridge Lozells Moseley Nechells Newtown Northfield Olton Oscott Perry Barr Perry Beeches Pipe Hayes Quinton Rednal Rubery Saltley Selly Oak Shard End Sheldon Shenley Green Small Heath Smethwick Solihull South Yardley Sparkbrook Sparkhill Springfield Spring Hill Stechford Stirchley Summerfield Sutton Coldfield Ward End Washwood Heath West Heath Weoley Castle Winson Green Witton Yardley Yardley Wood RELIGIOUS HOUSES

Church of England Churches

Listed left are Districts/Parish Churches within the City of Birmingham boundary. Clicking on the District will take you to the District Information Page which also shows an approximate Ordnance Survey Grid Reference. Where Birmingham has been indicated this means Birmingham Central. All sources are from Birmingham Central Library archives, Birmingham Diocesan Directory and the Victorian History of the Counties of England. Warwickshire Vol.VII

Unless identified separately & specifically ALL Churches are C of E

C of E

Erdington - Aston Union Workhouse & Cottage Homes

Licensed for public worship. Aston Union Workhouse chapel ( called Erdington Homes Chapel from 1922 ), 1906-39; Mission church to St Barnabas, Erdington.

Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Records closed until 2025

C of E

Erdington - St Barnabas High Street (O.S. GR SP 111919 )

Consecrated 1824.as a chapel of ease to St Peter & St Paul, Aston, and was enlarged in 1883. A parish was assigned out of St Peter & St Paul’s in 1858. part of the parish were taken to form part of the parish of All Saints,Gravely Hill (1929) and the parish of St Mary, Pype Hayes (1930 ).A considerable number of places have been licensed for public worship as missions of this church. All Saints’ mission room from 1901 Aston Union Workhouse Chapel (called Erdington Homes Chapel from 1922) 1906 –1939; Stockland Green mission room from 1908; St Margaret’s mission church, Somerset Road since 1909; St Ethelreda’s mission 1910 –1930; Congreaves Lodge Retreat, Kingsbury Road 1914 –1919; St Chads mission church, Stoneyhurst Road (in Charles Street until 1926) since 1914; Jaffray Hospital since 1921; Highcroft Hall Mental Hospital since 1950.


Neighbouring parishes - Sutton Coldfield, Curdworth, Castle Bromwich, Ashtead, Handsworth


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1824-1962

Marriages 1858-1960

Burials 1824-1974

Banns 1858 - 1979

Trustee burial ground 1912-1960

C of E

Erdington - St Etheldreda Mission

Licensed for public worship 1910 – 30. Mission church to St Barnabas, Erdington.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1911-1933


C of E

Erdington - St Mark Bleak Hill Road / Hesketh Crescent ( O S GR. SP 094919 )

Licensed as a mission of St Barnabas’s, Erdington in 1908; it was then known as Stockland Green mission room, and from 1920 as St Mark’s mission church. A permanent church was consecrated in 1934, when a parish was assigned out of All Saint’s, Gravelly Hill.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

None  


Non Conformists


Baptist - George Road Erdington

William Spicer Aston Memorial Church was completed in 1929. It was opened to replace an older building in Moor Lane Witton.


Baptist - High Street Erdington

Chapel was built in 1878. The church originated in meetings held from 1873 to 1876 at J.E. Guest’s boarding school and subsequently in a hired hall.


Brethren - Hunton Hill Gravelly Hill Slade

Assembly Hall was registered for public worship in 1926. It was opened in 1957.


Brethren - New Street Erdington

Gospel hall was registered for public worship in 1897. A Brethren meeting existed at Erdington in 1892.


Christadelphians - Erdington ecclesia (Temperance Hall group)

Was founded in 1908 and met for a time at the Osborne Road Erdington school. In 1957 the meeting place had been for some years the High Street Erdington Co-operative Society hall.


Christadelphians - Orphanage Road, Erdington

Hall was built in 1921, The ecclesia associated with the Masonic hall group, was founded in 1900, and in 1901 was said to number about 20.The meeting place was already established in Orphanage Road, Erdington by 1908.


Church of Christ - Goosemoor Lane Erdington

Chapel was opened in 1930 for a church formed in 1908.


Churches of God - Alleyne Road hall, Erdington

Was registered for public worship in 1952.


Congregationalists and Independents -High Street Erdington

Chapel was built in 1839. Congregational services began at Erdington in 1814, in a building in Bell Lane Erdington, used later in later years as a Roman Catholic chapel. Mission work by the Erdington church culminated in 1929, in the opening of a chapel in Pype Hayes.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptism 1822 –1975

Marriage 1850 –1975

Burial 1850 –1973

Burial index 1850 –1950

Interments index 1839 –1966


Congregationalists and Independents -Orphanage Road Erdington

Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptism 1822 – 1975

Interments 1839 –1966

B index 1850 –1950

Burial 1850 –1973

Marriages 1850 –1975


Elim Church - South Road Erdington

Elim Church a temporary building formerly an un-denominational mission, was registered for public worship in 1939. The church was founded from Graham Street, Birmingham in 1957.


Elim Church - Wood End Lane Erdington

Elim Church was registered for public worship from 1936 to 1952.


Fellowship of Independent Evangelical Churches - Bromford Lane Birches Green

Evangelistic Free Church was registered for public worship in 1947.


Methodists - Erdington

Orphanage Chapel was from 1862 – 8 a Wesleyan ‘preaching place’. Services were held in the small hall of the Erdington Almshouses founded by Josiah mason, and used until 1868, as the temporary homes of the Josiah Mason orphanage.


Methodists - Gravelley Hill Erdington

Hart Memorial Chapel, was built by the United Methodists in 1890. The church originated as a mission of Rocky Lane.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Marriage 1924 - 1973


Methodists - High Street Erdington

Chapel, was registered for public worship by the Primitive Methodists in 1912.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Marriages 1922 - 1967


Methodists - Kingsbury Road Tyburn

Chapel was opened in 1903. The church appears to date ,at least from 1869, when an earlier chapel at Tyburn was registered for public worship.


Methodists - Slade Road Erdington

Chapel opened in 1932, was the third Wesleyan chapel to serve the district. The first brick chapel in Stockland Road, was opened about 1886, for un-denominational services, including those of a ‘prayer band’ from Erdington (Station Road) Wesleyan chapel. It as replaced by a new chapel on a nearby site, fronting on Slade Road.


Methodists - Station Road Erdington

Chapel was opened as a school-chapel by the Wesleyans in 1892..


Methodists - Wheelwright Road Bromford

Chapel was registered for public worship by the Wesleyans in 1923, and appears to have replaced an earlier chapel at Bromford registered in 1906.


BROMFORD Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Marriages 1971


Other Churches and Missions - South Road Erdington

Zion Mission Hall was registered for public worship from 1906 to 1939. It was then re-registered as an Elim church.


Presbyterians - Holly Lane Erdington

Chapel was completed in 1934. Holly Lane was the third place of worship of the Erdington congregation founded in 1910 by members of Long Acre, Nechells chapel.


Salvation Army - High Street Erdington

Hall was registered for public worship from 1910 to 1914.


Salvation Army - Station Road Erdington

Hall was registered for public worship in 1916.


Seventh Day Adventists - Sutton New Road Erdington

Advent Hall was registered for public worship in 1952.


Spiritualists - Gravelley Hill Erdington

Church was registered for public worship by the National Spiritualists from 1941 to 1952.


Spiritualists - Slade Road St Marks Erdington

Mission conducted by the Christian Spiritualists, was in existence in 1954 and was registered for public worship in 1956.


Spiritualists - Summer Road Erdington

Church in rooms, was registered for public worship by the Christian Spiritualists from 1928 to 1954.


Roman Catholic


St Joseph Aston Union Workhouse ( O S GR SP1091 )

In 1912 mass was celebrated at St Joseph’s Chapel in the workhouse by priests from Erdington.


St Thomas & St Edmund of Canterbury Sutton Road ( O S GR SP1192 )

A chapel in Bell Lane, was said to have been built in Erdington c.1839. In 1842 a school chapel was opened. A new church was begun in 1848 and consecrated in1850. It was served by Benedictines from 1876 to 1922, and by Redemptions from 1922 onwards. The church stands in a large graveyard and is linked on the south side to Erdington Abbey.


St Mary & St John Gravelly Hill North ( O S GR SP1091 )

The mission was established in 1922. The church opened in 1937 and consecrated in 1953.


Gazetteer/Directory Entries


ERDINGTON is an ancient hamlet, on the high road from Birmingham to Sutton Coldfield in Aston parish and union, Hemlingford hundred, Birmingham county court district and division, county of Warwick. The church St. Barnabas was erected in 1819-20 by the Commissioners appointed for building churches, at a cost of £6,000, £1,000 of which was raised by subscriptions of the inhabitants. The register dates from the year 1820. The living is a perpetual curacy, endowed with £80 per annum out of the tithes of the hamlet, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Aston and field by the Rev. Hyla Holden Rose, M.A., of Clare College, Cambridge. The school-rooms were built in 1822: the land, including the churchyard, the site of schools, and parsonage-house, was the gift of Earl Howe, the Rev. G. Peake, and the Rev. J. H. Harrison. In 1850 a Roman Catholic chapel was erected here, at a cost exceeding £10,000. The Roman Catholic College, dedicated to St. Mary, is a spacious building, erected in 1837-8 and affords accommodation for 200 students. There is also a suite of apartments for the bishop, a handsome chapel, and a museum containing some ancient and curious relics. The Independent meeting-house is a neat building, with commodious schoolrooms attached. The Orphan Asylum was erected by Josiah Mason, Esq. (by whom it is supported), for 50 girls, who are clothed and educated for domestic servant; adjoining the asylum are almshouses for 20 women, furnished with firing and lighting, at the sole expense of J. Mason, Esq. : they were built in 1860 : a new asylum is being built by the same gentleman to accommodate 250 boys and girls, who are to be selected irrespective of country or creed. Here is the Aston Union Workhouse. Erdington Hall was a mansion of very early date.. some remains may still be traced near the present edifice. A magistrates’ meeting is held every alternate Wednesday. -Bracebridge, Esq. is Lord of the Manor. The principal landowners are - Bracebridge, Esq. and Josiah Mason Esq. The soil is a light, loam subsoil. Gravel. The chief crops are. turnips and wheat. The population in 1861 was 3,906. Workhouse, Rev. G. W. Robinson, chaplain; Enoch Pearson, clerk to guardians. Edward Spooner Machin medical officer; William Moon Nuth, master; Mrs Harriett Nuth matron.