Click Here to go back to District Map
Acocks Green Allens Cross Ashted Aston (Gosta Green) Aston Aston (Juxta) Aston Brook Aston Manor Balsall Heath Bartley Green Bearwood Billesley Birchfield Birmingham Blackwell Bordesley (Camp Hill) Bordesley Bordesley Green Bournbrook Bournville Brandwood Bromford Brookfields California Castle Bromwich Cotteridge Deritend Duddeston Earlswood Edgbaston Erdington Great Barr Greet Hall Green Hamstead Handsworth Harborne Hay Mills Hazelwell Highgate Hockley Hodge Hill Kings Heath Kings Norton Kingstanding Ladywood Longbridge Lozells Moseley Nechells Newtown Northfield Olton Oscott Perry Barr Perry Beeches Pipe Hayes Quinton Rednal Rubery Saltley Selly Oak Shard End Sheldon Shenley Green Small Heath Smethwick Solihull South Yardley Sparkbrook Sparkhill Springfield Spring Hill Stechford Stirchley Summerfield Sutton Coldfield Ward End Washwood Heath West Heath Weoley Castle Winson Green Witton Yardley Yardley Wood RELIGIOUS HOUSES

Church of England Churches

Listed left are Districts/Parish Churches within the City of Birmingham boundary. Clicking on the District will take you to the District Information Page which also shows an approximate Ordnance Survey Grid Reference. Where Birmingham has been indicated this means Birmingham Central. All sources are from Birmingham Central Library archives, Birmingham Diocesan Directory and the Victorian History of the Counties of England. Warwickshire Vol.VII

Unless identified separately & specifically ALL Churches are C of E

C of E

Edgbaston - St Augustine (off Hippo) St Augustine’s Road / Hagley Road

( O.S. GR. SP 038862 )

Consecrated in 1868 as a chapel of ease to St Bartholomew’s, Edgbaston. A parish was assigned out of St Bartholomew’s in 1889. Part of the parish was transferred to St John’s, Harborne in 1906, and part was taken to form the parish of St Germain, Edgbaston (1920). The city mission room licensed for public worship from 1896, and transferred from the parish of Christ Church, Summerfield in 1906. There were other licensed missions at Sandon Road 1891 –1908 at the Magdalen Home Chapel 1903 – 18 and at 315 Hagley Road 1909 -13


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1868-1983

Marriages 1890-1984


C of E

Edgbaston - St Bartholomew / (Edgbaston Old Church ) Church Road ( O.S. GR. SP 056848 )

Ancient Parish

Also known as Edgbaston parish church was originally a chapel of Harborne. The first mention of Edgbaston church was in 1279, when Henry De Ganio resigned to the Bishop of Coventry and Lichfield the parish church of Harborne with its chapel of Edgbaston. Several new churches were built in the parish St George’s in 1838; St James in 1852; and St Augustine’s in 1868. parishes were assigned to St George and St James in 1852, St Augustine 1889. St Mary and St Ambrose church, which was later consecrated and became a parish church in 1903, originated as a mission of Edgbaston church in 1885. The mission church of St Monica Harrison Road, was built and first licensed for public worship in 1891. Other places in the parish licensed for public worship in 1960 were St Francis Hall in the University 1939 Queen Elizabeth Hospital 1950, the memorial chapel at King Edward’s School 1953 and the Blue Coat School 1957.


Neighbouring parishes

Birmingham, Aston Kings Norton, Harborne, Handsworth


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1636 -1979

Marriages 1636 – 1983

Burials 1635 - 1887

Archbishop licences 6th Sep 1972, 7th mar 1973, 1st Aug 1973  

Bishops licences 3rd Aug 1972 2nd Feb 1976

Confirmations 1924 -1964

Banns  1975 - 1984

B.M.S.G.H.- Register Copies

C D - D025 Greater Birmingham Miscellany ( includes other churches) marr 1813 - 1837 bur 1823 – 1816 late baptisms 1838 - 1850

Warwick Record Office

Transcripts Vol 1 Baptisms & marriages  1636 - 1812

Burials 1636 - 1812

Vol 2 Marriages 1754 - 1812

Bishops Transcripts at Lichfield

 1678 -1837

Dugdale Society Register Copies (Printed)

Baptisms, marriages 1636 -1674

Burials 1636 1674

1754 - 1812


C of E

Edgbaston - St George Calthorpe Road / Westbourne Crescent ( O S GR. SP 053855 )

Built in 1838. A parish was assigned out of St Bartholomew’s, Edgbaston in 1852. A mission room in Parker Street was licensed for public worship 1904 – 14. St Michael’s mission, Waterworks Road (known as St Georges institute until 1938) has been licensed since 1915, the chapel of the Children’s Hospital , Ladywood Road, since 1925. Built 1838. Parish assigned out of Edgbaston in 1852

Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1839-1940

Marriages 1885-1989


C of E

Edgbaston - St Germain City Road ( O S GR. SP 032867 approx )

Originated as an iron mission church in the parish of Christ Church, Summerfield, first licensed in 1896 and known as the City Road mission room. It was enlarged in 1899. From 1906 it was in the parish of St Augustine, Edgbaston, and from 1907 was known as St Germain’s. In 1956 a new church was built and consecrated in 1917. A parish was assigned out of St Augustine’s in 1920


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1917-1964

Marriages 1920-1965


C of E

Edgbaston - St James Charlotte Road /Pakenham Road ( O.S.GR. SP 062855 )

Built 1852. Parish assigned out of Edgbaston in 1852


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1852-1972

Marriages 1885-1971


Edgbaston - St Mary & Ambrose Pershore Road ( O S GR. SP 062855 )

Originated as a mission of St Bartholomew’s, Edgbaston, first licensed in1885, and called St Ambrose mission church from 1889. A parish was assigned out of St Bartholomews’s in 1903.Consecrated and became a parish church in 1903, originated as a mission of Edgbaston Church in 1885


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1898-1984

Marriages 1899-1983


C of E

Edgbaston - St Monica

Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1938-1964


Non Conformists


Baptist - Bristol Road Wycliffe

Church was completed in1861. By 1961 the church had been closed and standing derelict.


Baptist - City Road Summerfield Rotton Park

Chapel was built in 1923. After closing of Mount Zion Graham Street Birmingham. In 1922 a new church was formed.


Baptist - Hagley Road Edgbaston

Church of the Redeemer was built in 1881/2. Founded in 1882 c. membership drawn mainly from the old church at Mount Zion Graham Street Birmingham. The church of the Redeemer continued missions at Ellen Street Winson Green and Carters Lane Woodgate which had been under the care of Mount Zion and in 1892 was concerned also with adult Sunday schools at Clark Street Ladywood and Nelson Street Birmingham.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Marriages 1900 - 1972


Congregationalists and Independents -Francis Road Edgbaston

Chapel was completed in 1856. The church originated in 1854 in a private mission work by members of Carrs Lane and Steelhouse Lane Birmingham. The church was responsible for missions in Sherborne Street Birmingham 1878, and Dartmouth Road Bournbrook1902.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Marriages 1933 – 1958


Friends - George Road Edgbaston

Meetinghouse, was built for the congregation previously meeting at Bath Row Birmingham. In 1908 the George Road meeting was the second largest in Birmingham.


Islam - Speedwell Road, Edgbaston

Mosque was bought in 1944 by Jamait - ul - Muslimin.


Judism - Pershore Road Edgbaston / Highgate

Synagogue is mentioned from 1949, but was preceded by the Rose Synagogue, which consisted of rooms in Pershore Road registered for public worship in 1936.


Methodists - City Road Edgbaston

Chapel was opened in 1903.


Methodists - Sandon Road Edgbaston

Chapel was opened by the Wesleyans in 1882.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptism 1882 -1922


Methodists - St Martin’s Street Edgbaston

Chapel was built by the Wesleyan Methodists in 1825. In 1940 the chapel remained one of the largest in Birmingham. The church originated in meetings held at the house of William Ford in William Street in 1817, and was soon established in a small chapel on the corner of St Martin’s Street and Tennant Street , which was registered the same year. A second preaching-room, in Worton’s Terrace, Lower St Martin’s Street, was used from 1819 to 1825.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptism 1831 –1969

Marriage 1866 - 1945


Methodists - Stirling Road Edgbaston

Chapel was opened by the Wesleyans in 1885.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptism 1886 –1969

Marriage 1897 - 1969


Order of the Cross - Gillot Road Edgbaston

Sanctuary Rooms were registered for public worship in 1956.


Order of the Cross - Westbourne Road Edgbaston

Sanctuary Rooms were registered for public worship in 1956.


Roman Catholic


The Immaculate Conception, ( The Oratory ) 1851 Hagley Road  (O.S. GR. SP 0486)

The mission was served by the Oratory priests in 1849 - 1850. The first church was opened in 1853 by the Oratorians, who had move to Edgbaston from Alcester Street Birmingham in 1852, I was enlarged in 1858 and 1861. The present church was built as a memorial to Cardinal Newman. the nave and aisles being opened in 1906 and the church completed in 1929. (consecrated 1920).


Gazetteer/Directory Entries


EDGBASTON, parish in the Birmingham division of the hundred of HEMLINGFORD, county of WARWICK, 1½ miles (S.W.) from Birmingham, containing 2117 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty. Lord Calthorpe was patron in 1795. The church is dedicated to St Bartholomew. The village has within the last few years become an extensive and handsome appendage to the town of Birmingham and consists of several spacious streets well lighted with gas, containing many respectable houses, exclusively of several substantial mansions in detached situations, and numerous villas inhabited chiefly by proprietors of factories in the town, by the more opulent manufacturers, and private families: the buildings are chiefly of stone and brick, coated with Roman cement, and exhibit a great variety of architecture style. Of the few ancient buildings which existed previously to the erection of the modern town, the hall, which was garrisoned for the parliament in the reign of Charles I, and a private house called the Monument, from the erection of a very high octagonal tower of, brick, near which passes the Roman Icknield-street, are the principal now remaining. The subscription bowling green and pleasure-grounds are beautifully laid out and well attended. The reservoir of the Birmingham canal, which passes through the parish, an extensive sheet of water covering nineteen acres, and excavated to the depth of twenty feet, derives from the rich foliage on its banks all the beauty of a small lake. The church, an ancient structure, has been recently enlarged, and carefully restored, with a due regard to the preservation of its original character. The asylum for the deaf and dumb, on the borders of the canal, is a commodious edifice, resembling in some degree the ancient style of English architecture. [Lewis 1831]