Click Here to go back to District Map
Acocks Green Allens Cross Ashted Aston (Gosta Green) Aston Aston (Juxta) Aston Brook Aston Manor Balsall Heath Bartley Green Bearwood Billesley Birchfield Birmingham Blackwell Bordesley (Camp Hill) Bordesley Bordesley Green Bournbrook Bournville Brandwood Bromford Brookfields California Castle Bromwich Cotteridge Deritend Duddeston Earlswood Edgbaston Erdington Great Barr Greet Hall Green Hamstead Handsworth Harborne Hay Mills Hazelwell Highgate Hockley Hodge Hill Kings Heath Kings Norton Kingstanding Ladywood Longbridge Lozells Moseley Nechells Newtown Northfield Olton Oscott Perry Barr Perry Beeches Pipe Hayes Quinton Rednal Rubery Saltley Selly Oak Shard End Sheldon Shenley Green Small Heath Smethwick Solihull South Yardley Sparkbrook Sparkhill Springfield Spring Hill Stechford Stirchley Summerfield Sutton Coldfield Ward End Washwood Heath West Heath Weoley Castle Winson Green Witton Yardley Yardley Wood RELIGIOUS HOUSES

Church of England Churches

Listed left are Districts/Parish Churches within the City of Birmingham boundary. Clicking on the District will take you to the District Information Page which also shows an approximate Ordnance Survey Grid Reference. Where Birmingham has been indicated this means Birmingham Central. All sources are from Birmingham Central Library archives, Birmingham Diocesan Directory and the Victorian History of the Counties of England. Warwickshire Vol.VII

Unless identified separately & specifically ALL Churches are C of E

C of E

Deritend - St Basil Heath Mill Lane / High Street ( O S GR. SP 080864 approx )

Originated as a temporary church which opened in 1886. A parish was assigned to it out of St Peter & St Paul’s Aston, but not consecrated. The parish was enlarged by parts of Holy Trinity Bordesley and St Andrew’s Bordesley in 1896. A new church designed by A S Dixon was consecrated 1911. The benefice a perpetual curacy from 1904 and a vicarage from 1907 was the gift of the Bishop. In 1939 it was joined with that of St John’s Deritend to form the united benefice of St John & St Basil. And the two parishes were merged. The temporary church in Mill Heath Lane seems to have continued to be licensed for public worship until 1926.

Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1886-1969

Marriages 1893-1970

Banns 1931 - 1962

Confirmations 1954

BMGSH register copies

C D Rom - D025 - marriages (Greater Birmingham Miscellany includes other churches) 1700 - 1753

Fiche : M053 – marriages includes St Mary, St Pauls Aston  1700 - 1753


C of E

Deritend - St Gabriel Pickford Street / Barn Street ( O S GR. SP 078867 approx )

Consecrated in 1869. A parish was assigned out of St Martin’s Birmingham and St Bartholomews’s Birmingham in 1869, and enlarged by a futher part of St Bartholomew’s in 1939. The church was badly damaged in the second world war was closed in 1945,and was put in the incumbent of St John & St Basil Deritend.

Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1869-1940

Marriages 1870-1940


C of E

Deritend - St John the Baptist Formerly on south side of High Street

( O.S. GR SP 079863 approx )

Deritend chapel founded late 14th Century In 1381 an agreement was made by which the parishioners of Aston who lived in Deritend and Bordesley were permitted to appoint their own charges a chaplain to celebrate divine services for them in the recently built chapel of St John the Baptist. Reason being was the distance of Deritend and Bordesley from the parish church and the flooding of the river in winter.. Merged with St Basil Deritend 1939 forming the new benefice of St John and St Basil. A parish was formed out of Aston 1890. Site of St John sold to city authorities 1939. In use as furniture warehouse 1943. Demolished by 1961.A mission room was licensed for public worship by the Bishop from 1916 – 1926.


Neighbouring parishes

Ashtead, Castle Bromwich, Bordesley, Birmingham, Handsworth


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1699-1940

Marriages 1700-1940

Burials 1791-1812

Bishop’s transcripts at Lichfield

Baptisms 1813 -1842


C of E

Deritend - St John and St Basil Heath Mill Lane ( O. S. GR. SP 080864 )

Is a united benefice formed in 1939 by the union of the benefices of St John, Deritend, and St Basil, Deritend.

Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1886-1969

Marriages 1893-1970

Banns 1931-1962


Non Conformists


Other Churches and Missions -  Alcester Street Elizabeth Green Mission Deritend

Was constituted by deed of trust in 1936 as a mission room for any religious or charitable purpose.


Gazetteer/Directory entries

DERITEND, a chapelery in the parish of ASTON, Birmingham division of the hundred of HEMLINGFORD, county of WARWICK, 1 mile (S.E. by S.) from Birmingham. The population is returned with the parish. There is an extensive brewery of ale at this place. [Lewis 1831]