Click Here to go back to District Map
Acocks Green Allens Cross Ashted Aston (Gosta Green) Aston Aston (Juxta) Aston Brook Aston Manor Balsall Heath Bartley Green Bearwood Billesley Birchfield Birmingham Blackwell Bordesley (Camp Hill) Bordesley Bordesley Green Bournbrook Bournville Brandwood Bromford Brookfields California Castle Bromwich Cotteridge Deritend Duddeston Earlswood Edgbaston Erdington Great Barr Greet Hall Green Hamstead Handsworth Harborne Hay Mills Hazelwell Highgate Hockley Hodge Hill Kings Heath Kings Norton Kingstanding Ladywood Longbridge Lozells Moseley Nechells Newtown Northfield Olton Oscott Perry Barr Perry Beeches Pipe Hayes Quinton Rednal Rubery Saltley Selly Oak Shard End Sheldon Shenley Green Small Heath Smethwick Solihull South Yardley Sparkbrook Sparkhill Springfield Spring Hill Stechford Stirchley Summerfield Sutton Coldfield Ward End Washwood Heath West Heath Weoley Castle Winson Green Witton Yardley Yardley Wood RELIGIOUS HOUSES

Church of England Churches

Listed left are Districts/Parish Churches within the City of Birmingham boundary. Clicking on the District will take you to the District Information Page which also shows an approximate Ordnance Survey Grid Reference. Where Birmingham has been indicated this means Birmingham Central. All sources are from Birmingham Central Library archives, Birmingham Diocesan Directory and the Victorian History of the Counties of England. Warwickshire Vol.VII

Unless identified separately & specifically ALL Churches are C of E

C of E

Bordesley - Mission Church of Holy  Carpenter Adderley Road (OS GR SP  100868

Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1909-1923


C of E

Bordesley - Mission Church of St Luke  Cherrywood Road (OS GR  )

Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1905-1925


C of E

Bordesley - St Alban the Martyr  Conybere Street ( O. S. GR. SP 078854 )

Originated as a building in Leopold Street which was licensed as a mission of Holy Trinity, Bordesley in 1865.It was known as St Alban’s from 1871 when a parish was assigned out of Holy Trinity, Bordesley and an incumbent instituted. Consecrated in 1899. Part of the parish was taken to form part of the parish of St Patrick, Bordesley (1900). St Patrick’s School Chapel was licensed as a mission in 1873; this mission later became St Patrick’s Church, Bordesley. Other missions were licensed for public worship at St Columbia’s School, Dymoke Street (1908 –13), St Katherines’s mission room, Stanhope Street (1908-25) and St Alban’s mission house, Moseley Road and Highgate Place (since 1921, when it was transferred from Holy Trinity, Bordesley).

Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1871 – 1966

Marriages 1900 - 1950

C of E

Bordesley - St Andrew St Andrew  Street (O. S. GR. SP 089866 )

Consecrated in 1846. A parish was assigned out of St Peter & St Paul, Aston in 1846. part of the parish was transferred to St Basil’s, Deritend in 1896 and part was taken to form the parish of St Oswald, Small heath (1889). In 1907 the parish was enlarged by part of St Saviour’s, Saltley. An iron chapel licensed for public worship was later consecrated as St Oswald’s, Small Heath. St Giles mission church, Green Lane, has been licensed 1905; St Mathew’s mission church, Garrison Street (formerly a mission of St Saviour’s, Saltley), in Garland Street until 1925 was transferred to St Andrew’s parish in 1907 and was closed during the second world war.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1846 – 1981

Marriages 1846 – 1966

Banns 1852 - 1971  

Confirmation 1908 -1952


C of E

Bordesley - St Giles Mission Church  Green Lane

Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1905-1958


C of E

Bordesley - St Oswald (of Worcester) St  Oswalds Road ( O. S. GR. SP 102856 )

Began as a temporary iron church licensed from 1882,as a mission of St Andrew’s, Bordesley. Consecrated in 1893. A permanent building was consecrated in 1893. A parish was assigned out of St Andrew’s in 1889 and parts of it were taken to form the parish of St Benedict, Bordesley 1910 and part of it St Gregory’s, Small Heath 1924. The parish was declared part of an ecclesiastical reorganisation area in 1946. St Benedict’s mission church, licensed from 1898, was consecrated in 1910 as St Bendicts, Bordesley. An iron mission church in Whittall Road was licensed for public worship from 1889 to 1926.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1889-1994

Marriages 1894-1996


Non Conformist


Brethren - Miles Street Camp Hill

Gospel hall was opened in 1892. Bombing in the Second World War destroyed it, and a new site nearby purchased in 1949.


Christian Scientists - Camp Hill

Formerly a Presbyterian place of worship was used by the Birmingham Third Church from 1942. it was sold to the Seventh day Adventists at the beginning of 1955 the congregation moving to premises in Sandy Lane Bordesley.


Congregationalists and Independents -  Cattell Road Bordesley

Mission hall was built in 1892 as a sequel to work carried on in Greenway Street, Small Heath by Carrs Lane Birmingham Town Mission. The mission was closed in 1923


Congregationalists and Independents -  Garrison Lane Bordesley

Chapel a mission of Carrs Lane Birmingham was built in 1829. The mission was founded in 1822 in great Barr Street Bordesley as a Sunday school , which was said to have moved to Watery Lane, Bordesley though there was still a Congregational chapel in Great Barr Street Bordesley in 1839. Garrison Lane Bordesley was replaced in 1843 by Palmer Street Bordesley chapel.


Congregationalists and Independents -  Palmer Street Bordesley

Chapel was built by Carrs Lane in 1843 for the congregation of garrison lane. The church was formed in 1860. The chapel was sold in 1876, the congregation moving to a new building in St Andrews Road, Palmer Street congregational probably to mark the rebuilding of the chapel. The tabernacle ceased to appear in the Birmingham directories in 1911.


Congregationalists and Independents -  St Andrews Road Bordesley

Chapel was built for the Palmer Street Bordesley congregation in 1876 and was rebuilt in 1903. In 1922 it became the chapel of the Watery Lane Central Mission Bordesley, closed before 1957. A new chapel was opened in 1869. Bordesley Watery Lane Central Mission, marriage 1931- 1941


Congregationalists and Independents -  Watery Lane Bordesley

Central Mission Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptism 1931 – 1941


Friends - Garrison Lane Bordesley

Board School was in use as an adult school and mission in 1906 and 1908.


Methodists - Bordesley Street  Bordesley

Chapel was rented by a congregation of Primitive Methodists from 1831, and appears to have been taken from the connexion and let to Carrs Lane Congregational Town Mission in 1834.


Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptism 1831 - 1837


Methodists - Garrison Lane Bordesley

Chapel was opened in 1868 and was a Primitive Methodists chapel. The building appears to have been sold in 1918, and was in use the following year as a mission of St Mathew, Duddeston.


Methodists - Jenkins Street Bordesley

Conference Hall was opened by the Primitive Methodists in 1895. It was built to replace Jenkins Street chapel.


Methodists - Upper Trinity Street  Bordesley

Chapel was registered for public worship by the Wesleyan reformers in 1859, and appeared in the Birmingham Directories up to 1868.


Presbyterian Meeting Houses and  Unitarian and Free Christian  Churches - Fazeley Street Bordesley

Chapel was opened in 1877 for the use of the (Unitarian) Free Christian Society. The Free Christian Society, founded in 1861 began educational and mission work in New Canal Street Birmingham and Meriden Street Birmingham, prior to the opening of a school in Fazeley Street in 1865. In 1888 it was decided to close the chapel. The premises were then acquired by the Church of the Messiah (Broad Street) domestic mission. The last year in which a list of subscribes to the Fazeley Street mission was published was 1946, but the congregation is said to have been ‘almost extinct’ before this date. The chapel was sold in 1948.


Presbyterians - Camp Hill Bordesley

Chapel was opened in 1869.It ceased to be registered for public worship by the Presbyterians in 1947, when it was being used by the Seventh Day Adventists.


Seventh Day Adventists - Camp Hill

Church was bought by the Seventh day Adventists at the beginning of 1955. It has previously served successfully as a place of worship for Presbyterians and Christian Scientists.


Gazetteer/Directory Entries


BORDESLEY, a chapelery in the parish of ASTON, Birmingham division of the hundred of HEMLINGFORD, county of WARWICK. The population is returned with the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Coventry, and the diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Aston. The chapel, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is in the later style of English architecture; it was built in 1820, at an expense of £12,722.15.6., which was raised by subscription among the inhabitants, aided by a grant from the parliamentary commissioners. This was formerly a small hamlet, consisting only of detached houses, but from its proximity to Birmingham, it has become an integral part of that town, and participates largely in its trade, manufactures and institutions. An hospital for about twelve poor persons, an apartment in which is used for a chapel, has been built by Mr Dowell, who appoints the inmates, but no permanent provision for their support has yet been made. [Lewis 1831]