Church of England Churches
Listed left are Districts/Parish Churches within the City of Birmingham boundary. Clicking on the District will take you to the District Information Page which also shows an approximate Ordnance Survey Grid Reference. Where Birmingham has been indicated this means Birmingham Central. All sources are from Birmingham Central Library archives, Birmingham Diocesan Directory and the Victorian History of the Counties of England. Warwickshire Vol.VII
Unless identified separately & specifically ALL Churches are C of E
C of E
Balsall Heath - St Barnabas ( Mission of St Paul ) Ladypool Road / Clifton Road ( O.S. GR. SP 085841 )
As a mission church of St Paul’s, Balsall Heath enlarged in 1894 and consecrated in 1904. A parish was assigned out of St Paul’s in 1905. St Luke’s mission church was licensed for public worship 1908 – 1926.
Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department
Balsall Heath - St Mark's Mission Weaman Street (O.S.GR. SP 0787 approx )
St Mark’s Mission church, Weaman Street, was licensed for public worship from 1892- 1926
Balsall Heath - St Paul Moseley Road ( O.S. GR. 076845 )
Consecrated in 1853. A parish was assigned out of St Nicolas’s, Kings Norton in 1853; parts of it were taken to form the parishes of St Thomas in the Moors, Balsall Heath 1884 and St Barnabas, Balsall Heath 1905 and parts of the parishes of St Patrick, Bordesley 1900 and St Agatha, Sparkbrook 1902. St Barnabas’s mission church licensed from 1800, was consecrated in 1904 as St Barnabas’s, Balsall Heath ; St Mark’s Mission church, Weaman Street, was licensed for public worship from 1892- 1926 the Clifton Road Dispensary from 1910 – 1926.
Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department
Balsall Heath - St Thomas in the Moors Cox Street West ( O.S. GR 0785 approx )
Consecrated in 1883. A parish was assigned out of St Paul’s, Balsall Heath in 1884, part of it was taken to form part of the parish of St Patrick, Bordesley Green 1900. A parochial hall in Clevedon Street was licensed for public worship from 1923 until the Second World War.
Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives
Baptist - Balsall Heath Road Balsall Heath
Chapel played a part in the history of Methodists and the Congregationalists as well as the Baptist. Built as un-denominational school chapel shortly after 1858 by a Congregational Mission first established in King Street Sparkbrook while the Moseley Road Highgate Congregational Chapel was being built. From 1868 to 1871 Wesleyan Methodists were in occupation. On their departure for their new chapel also in Moseley Road Highgate Premises were bought in 1873 formed a Baptist Church there. The chapel enlarged in 1867 was presented to the Baptist Union in 1883. and continued in use until the opening of a congregation’s new chapel in Edward Road Balsall Heath in 1900.
Baptist - Moseley Road Balsall Heath
Highgate Park chapel was opened by the Lombard Street Birmingham church in 1889 partly to celebrate it’s recent centenary. The chapel was closed and sold in 1934, members joining the Hall Green church, and the proceeds being devoted to the building of new chapels at Yardley Wood and Warley.
Baptist - The Balsall Heath Road Balsall Heath
Congregation as their new chapel in 1900 opened Edward Road, Balsall Heath chapel.
Brethren - Wenman Street Balsall Heath
Gospel hall was registered for public worship in 1870.
Church of Christ - Moseley Road
Chapel a brick building was opened in 1912 to replace Charles Henry Street Digbeth.
Congregationalists and Independents - Balsall Heath Road
Chapel Balsall Heath. ( See also Baptists )
Congregationalists and Independents - King Street Balsall Heath
Mission room was opened in 1858 by a mission that subsequently moved to Balsall Heath Road.
Congregationalists and Independents - Ladypool Road Balsall Heath / Sparkbrook
Mission hall was opened in 1894 by the un-denominational Sparkbrook Gospel Mission founded in 1886. The congregation became affiliated to Moseley Road Balsall Heath Congregational church in 1901.
Congregationalists and Independents - Moseley Road / Lime Grove Balsall Heath
Chapel was opened in 1862 for the use of a church formed the previous year. In 1901 the church, took over responsibility for the Ladypool Road Balsall Heath / Sparkbrook mission.
Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Marriages 1918 – 1952
Full Gospel Churches - Muntz Street Balsall Heath
Church, formerly a Methodist chapel, Millpool Hall, Alcester Road South church was registered for public worship in 1945. It became an Elim church in 1954.
Islam - Edward Road Balsall Heath
Mosque was registered for public in 1943 by Zania Islammia Allonia.
Methodists - Balfour Street Balsall Heath (formerly King Street Mary Street chapel)
Was opened in 1927 by the Primitive Methodists in part to replace Bristol Hall, Bristol Street. The first chapel on the site was a mission hall built by the Gooch Street Highgate church in 1874..The chapel was sold after Methodists Union in 1932, and in 1953 was being used by metal merchants.
Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Marriages 1930 - 1939
Methodists - Balsall Heath Road Balsall Heath
Chapel (Wesleyan chapel 1868 – 71) see Baptists.
Methodists - Knutsford Street Balsall Heath
Mission room was in use as a Wesleyan mission in 1875. The mission ceased to appear in the Birmingham directories in 1933.
Methodists - Moseley Road
Chapel was opened by the Wesleyans in 1872, for a congregation previously worshipping at Balsall heath Road. Daughter churches were founded from Moseley Road at Stratford Road, Cambridge Road, Reddings Lane Sparkhill, Vicarage Road (Hazelwell ), Trittiford Road Billesley, Wood Lane and Shirley. The Knutsford Street and Mary Street missions were also sponsored by Moseley Road.
Methodists - Ombersley Road Balsall Heath
Chapel was built by the Methodists New Connexion in 1896, for the congregations of the recently closed Moseley Street chapel and of a preceding smaller chapel in Ombersley Road, Balsall Heath.
Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Marriages 1934 - 1952
Methodists - Vincent Street Balsall Heath
Chapel was built by the Wesleyans in 1839. From 1870 to 1883 it appeared as a Methodist New Connexion chapel, but from 1884 to 1887 seems to have been again used briefly by the Wesleyans before closing.
Other Churches and Missions - Mary Street Balsall Heath
Homeland Asembly Hall
Was registered for public worship in 1946 by the Homeland Missionary Society.
Salvation Army - George Street Balsall Heath
Hall was in use in 1892.
Salvation Army - Priestley Road Balsall Heath
Barracks, formerly a Latter Day Saints chapel, were registered for public worship in 1909.
A temple was opened for the small Sikh community in Birmingham in 1958. It occupied the ground floor of a terraced house in Cannon Hill Road, Balsall Heath.
Swedenborgians (new Jerusalem Church) - Tindal Street Balsall Heath
Meeting was formed in 1884. The congregation originated in a mission established in a schoolroom in Priestley Road, Sparkbrook before 1880. In 1909 the congregation opened a new chapel in Alcester Road, Moseley.
St. John & St Martin / St John the Evangelist George Street ( O S GR SP 0784 )
The church was founded from St Anne’s Alcester Street Birmingham in 1896 and served from there until 1903 when it became a separate mission.