Click Here to go back to District Map
Acocks Green Allens Cross Ashted Aston (Gosta Green) Aston Aston (Juxta) Aston Brook Aston Manor Balsall Heath Bartley Green Bearwood Billesley Birchfield Birmingham Blackwell Bordesley (Camp Hill) Bordesley Bordesley Green Bournbrook Bournville Brandwood Bromford Brookfields California Castle Bromwich Cotteridge Deritend Duddeston Earlswood Edgbaston Erdington Great Barr Greet Hall Green Hamstead Handsworth Harborne Hay Mills Hazelwell Highgate Hockley Hodge Hill Kings Heath Kings Norton Kingstanding Ladywood Longbridge Lozells Moseley Nechells Newtown Northfield Olton Oscott Perry Barr Perry Beeches Pipe Hayes Quinton Rednal Rubery Saltley Selly Oak Shard End Sheldon Shenley Green Small Heath Smethwick Solihull South Yardley Sparkbrook Sparkhill Springfield Spring Hill Stechford Stirchley Summerfield Sutton Coldfield Ward End Washwood Heath West Heath Weoley Castle Winson Green Witton Yardley Yardley Wood RELIGIOUS HOUSES

Church of England Churches

Listed left are Districts/Parish Churches within the City of Birmingham boundary. Clicking on the District will take you to the District Information Page which also shows an approximate Ordnance Survey Grid Reference. Where Birmingham has been indicated this means Birmingham Central. All sources are from Birmingham Central Library archives, Birmingham Diocesan Directory and the Victorian History of the Counties of England. Warwickshire Vol.VII

Unless identified separately & specifically ALL Churches are C of E

C of E

ASTON (Juxta) - St Peter & St Paul Aston Hall Road / Witton Lane / Park Road (O.S. GR SP 083899)

Ancient Parish

The ancient parish church of St Peter and St Paul Aston may be assumed to have existed since the time of Domesday or earlier, for the Domesday Book mentions a priest at Aston.

Other chapels built in Aston parish before the 19th century were St John’s Deritend founded in 1381, St Margaret’s, Ward End (also called Little Bromwich) founded c. 1516 and St James, Ashtead founded 1789. Between 1823 and 1952 another 31 churches were built and consecrated within the ancient parish of Aston and within the modern city boundary. St Matthew, Duddeston 1842; St Andrew, Bordesley 1846; St Saviour, Saltley 1848; St Silas, Lozells 1854; St Barnabas, Erdington 1858; Holy Trinity, Bordesley 1864; Christ Church, Sparkbrook 1867; St Basil, Deritend 1886; St James, Aston 1906. And parts of St Mary, Aston Brook 1864; All Souls, Witton 1926; All Saints, Gravelly Hill 1929. A large number of mission rooms and churches were used at the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century. The following was licensed by the Bishop as mission rooms of Aston parish church for public worship. St James church room, Tower Road 1878-92; St James church, Frederick Road; Holy Trinity mission chuch, Lichfield Road since 1896; Dyson Hall mission church, Park Road since 1897; All Saints mission, Witton 1908 -40; Ellen Knox Memorial Hall, Tower Road since 1908; St Peter’s mission, Deykin Avenue 1908 - 52; Alfred Street mission 1908-2;, Vicarage Road mission 1908 – 20; Catherine Street mission 1908 - 20; St Martin’s mission church, Perry Common since 1927.

Daughter Parishes

Ashted (St James the Less) 1853

Ward End (St Margaret) 1870

Deritend (St John) 1890

Neighbouring parishes

Sutton Coldfield, Curdworth, Coleshill, Yardley, Birmingham, Handsworth

Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Some have been withdraw

Baptisms 1563-1959

Marriages 1561-1969

Burials 1544-1954

Banns 1769 - 1933

B.M.S.G.H.- Register Copies

CD – Rom D025 - Greater Birmingham Miscellany (includes other churches)

Baptisms, Marriages, Burials 1544 –1639/40

Fiche M002 - Baptisms, Marriages, Burials 1544 - 1640

Bishops transcripts at Lichfield

1677 - 1830