Click Here to go back to District Map
Acocks Green Allens Cross Ashted Aston (Gosta Green) Aston Aston (Juxta) Aston Brook Aston Manor Balsall Heath Bartley Green Bearwood Billesley Birchfield Birmingham Blackwell Bordesley (Camp Hill) Bordesley Bordesley Green Bournbrook Bournville Brandwood Bromford Brookfields California Castle Bromwich Cotteridge Deritend Duddeston Earlswood Edgbaston Erdington Great Barr Greet Hall Green Hamstead Handsworth Harborne Hay Mills Hazelwell Highgate Hockley Hodge Hill Kings Heath Kings Norton Kingstanding Ladywood Longbridge Lozells Moseley Nechells Newtown Northfield Olton Oscott Perry Barr Perry Beeches Pipe Hayes Quinton Rednal Rubery Saltley Selly Oak Shard End Sheldon Shenley Green Small Heath Smethwick Solihull South Yardley Sparkbrook Sparkhill Springfield Spring Hill Stechford Stirchley Summerfield Sutton Coldfield Ward End Washwood Heath West Heath Weoley Castle Winson Green Witton Yardley Yardley Wood RELIGIOUS HOUSES

Church of England Churches

Listed left are Districts/Parish Churches within the City of Birmingham boundary. Clicking on the District will take you to the District Information Page which also shows an approximate Ordnance Survey Grid Reference. Where Birmingham has been indicated this means Birmingham Central. All sources are from Birmingham Central Library archives, Birmingham Diocesan Directory and the Victorian History of the Counties of England. Warwickshire Vol.VII

Unless identified separately & specifically ALL Churches are C of E

C of E

Aston - Bishop Ryder Memorial Church ( St Mary's) Formerly in Gem Street ( O.S. GR SP 0787 )

Consecrated in 1838. The church was demolished in 1960. A parish was assigned out of St Martin’s Birmingham in 1841. In 1925 the parish and benefice of St Mary, Birmingham, and in 1939 part of the parish and the benefice of St Bartholomew, Birmingham were united with those of Bishop Ryder. Staniforth Street Mission was licensed for public worship, 1869 – 1907. The chapel in the Maternity Hospital has been licensed since 1922 and the chapel in the General Hospital (in the parish of St Mary, Birmingham until 1925) since 1921.

Neighbouring parishes

Aston, Ashtead, St Bartholomew, St Mary, St George

Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1839 -1956

Marriages 1842 -1956

Confirmation 1954 -1955

C of E

Aston – St James Church (St James Mission) Frederick Road / Whitehead Road ( O. S. GR. 075896 )

Originated as a mission church of St Peter and St Paul’s, Aston in 1891. In 1906 a new church was built and consecrated and a parish was assigned out of St Peter and St Paul’s. St James mission Room, was licensed for public worship from 1908 – 1937.

Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1894-1965 includes those performed St James Mission 1894 - 1896

Marriages 1900-1970

 

Non Conformist


Baptist - Alma Street Aston

Mission hall was registered for public worship from 1909 to 1925, and replaced a mission registered the previous year in High Street Aston Manor.


Baptist - Bevington Road Christ Church Victoria Road Six Ways Aston

Opened Aston mission room, in a converted shop, in 1886.


Baptist - Bracebridge Street, Aston / Witton Bracebridge

Hall was built in 1902.,a mission originally founded by Christ Church, Victoria Road Six Ways Aston in 1884.


Baptist - Heneage Street Aston

Chapel was built in 1841.. The church was founded by members of Cannon Street Birmingham, who in October 1836 began to hold services in Great Lister Street Aston In 1950 Guildford Street Lozells the site was compulsory acquired by the corporation and it was closed. Daughter chapels founded from Heneage Street Aston were Bradford Street Digbeth 1884 1856 (indirectly) and Yates Street Aston 1859. The Grenfell Memorial Chapel, Bankdale Road Alum Rock, commemorates the old chapel.


Baptist - Thomas Street / Yate Street Aston / Aston Manor

Chapel was built in 1862. In 1898 it was rebuilt and enlarged. The church was founded on 1859 by a secession of members from Heneage Street Aston. Aston Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Marriages 1962


Baptist - Yates Street /Thomas Street Aston Manor

See Thomas Street.


Brethren - Great Brook Street Aston

Ebenezer Hall was registered for public worship from 1937 to 1952, and may be identifiable with an Ebenezer Hall in use in 1921.


Brethren - Park Lane Aston

Gospel hall was opened in 1892.


Congregationalists and Independents -  Legge Street Aston

Was originally built for the Primitive Methodists and was taken over by Congregationalists while still incomplete. It was opened for worship in 1825. In 1837 the congregation migrated to Livery Street Birmingham then temporary unoccupied. But the following year a new ministry was begun. In 1867 the chapel was adopted as a mission station by Steelhouse Lane Birmingham but was sold in 1872. The proceeds were devoted to building a new chapel in Park Road, Aston Park. Legge Street Aston was subsequently reopened by the Salvation Army.


Congregationalists and Independents -  New Town Row Aston

“The refuge” was in use in 1839.


Congregationalists and Independents -  Park Road, Aston Park

Chapel was opened in 1874 to replace a preaching room in use since 1872. The building was demolished in the 1950’s and a schoolroom was subsequently used for services.

Aston Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Marriages 1930 – 1956


Congregationalists and Independents -  Saltley Road Aston

Chapel was built in 1825.

Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Marriages 1889 – 1936


Hospitals - Loveday Street Maternity Hospital  

Aston Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1935 -1959


Methodists - Aston Road Aston

Chapel is mentioned in 1839 as a Methodist new Connexion chapel, but in 1851 was occupied by the Primitive Methodists.


Methodists - Belmont Row / Ashted Row Aston ( formerly Coleshill Street )

Aston chapel was opened by the Wesleyans in 1789. The chapel ceased to be registered for public worship in 1932. In 1961 the shell of the building was still standing as part of the premises of the Birmingham Waste Co. Ltd. Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptisms 1830 - 1932 Marriages 1899 - 1932


Methodists - Cecil Street Aston

Cecil Hall formerly a malt house was acquired by the Birmingham Wesleyan central Mission in 1889, and converted for religious and social uses. The hall was closed in 1926.


Methodists - Elkington Street Aston

School chapel was registered for public worship by the Bible Christians in 1897, and ceased to be so registered in 1925.


Methodists - Legge Street Aston

Chapel was built by the Weseyan Reformers shortly before 1855. It ceased to appear in the Birmingham directories in 1875.


Methodists - Lichfield Road

Chapel was built by the Wesleyans shortly before 1863. In 1892 Lichfield Road was responsible for a daughter church at Ten Arches.


Methodists - Lord Street Bethel  Birmingham

Was opened by the Primitive Methodists in 1854.. It was sold in 1942 for conversion to factory use.

Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptism 1935 - 1941


Methodists - Lord Street Aston

Chapel was established in Wesleyan School premises built in 1843. The premises ceased to be registered for public worship in 1925, and sold shortly afterwards.

Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptism 1935 - 1941


Methodists - Moland Street Aston

Meeting room was registered for worship by New Connexion Methodists in 1820.


Methodists - New Street Aston

Chapel was registered for public worship by the Primitive Methodists on 1868.The chapel ceased to be registered for public worship in 1942.


Methodists - Newtown Row Aston

Chapel was opened by the Wesleyans in 1837.The chapel was destroyed by bombing during the Second World War. Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptism 1940 - 1964 Marriages 1899 - 1940


Methodists - Ten Arches

Chapel was in use as a mission of Lichfield Road in 1892. The chapel was closed before 1945.


Other Churches and Missions - New Street Aston Manor


Elim Church - Lodge Road Aston

Elim Church was in use in 1932


Evangelistic Church

Was registered for public worship in 1943.


Presbyterian Meeting Houses and Unitarian and Free Christian Churches  - Lawrence Street Aston

Chapel was used by the New Meeting domestic mission from 1848 to 1888.The chapel was built by disciples of Joanna Southcott Socialists who re-opened it as tenants in 1839. The Socialists bought the chapel in 1841, before passing into Socialists hands Lawrence Street served in 1839 as the assembly hall for the Charterists National Convention. When the Unitarians acquired the chapel, it had been used for some time as a dance hall.


Salvation Army - Legge Street Aston

Chapel until 1872 a Congregational chapel was in use in 1892. It was still in use in 1902.


Salvation Army - Victoria Road

Hall was registered for public worship in 1904.


Spiritualists - Tower Road St James Church Aston

The rooms, were registered for public worship by the Christian Spiritualists from 1934 to 1952.


Swedenborgians (new Jerusalem Church) - Summer Lane

New Jerusalem Aston Church, Aston was built in 1830. The Summer Lane Aston chapel was closed in 1876 on the opening of Wretham Road Soho. It was subsequently used by the Christadelphians.


Roman Catholic


Sacred Heart and St Margaret Mary 1897 Witton Road Aston (O.S. GR. SP 0789)

The mission was established and an iron church dedicated to the Sacred heart and St Thomas of Canterbury was opened in 1897. The iron church was moved from the site of the present church to Prestbury Road Aston c. 1915. A permanent church (dedicated to Sacred heart and St Margaret Mary was opened in 1922 and consecrated in 1933.


Gazetteer/Directory Entries

ASTON, a parish in the Birmingham division of the Hundred of HEMLINGFORD, county of WARWICK, 2.1 miles (N.E. by E.) from Birmingham, containing, with the chapeleries of Bordesley and Deritend, 19,189 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Coventry, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the King's books at £21. 4s. 9½d, and in the patronage of the Rev. G. Peak. The church, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, has a handsome tower and spire in the later style of English architecture, with other parts of an earlier date, but much modernized: the chancel contains some altar-tombs with effigies. The Birmingham and Fazely canal passes through this parish. In 1820, a chapel in the later style of English architecture was erected at Bordesley, at an expense of £ 12,722. 15 s. 1d, by subscription of the inhabitants, aided by a grant from the parliamentary commissioners; and, in 1822, another was erected at Erdington, at the expense of £5657. ls. ld, solely by grant of the commissioners. An almshouse for five men and five women was founded and endowed by Sir Thomas Holt, Bart., in the reign of James 1. ; the present building was erected by his grandson, about the year 1650. [Lewis 1831]

ASTON, ward and ry. sta. L.M.S., Warwickshire, in bor. of Birmingham. At Aston Hall Charles I. Was entertained prior to the battle of Edge Hill. [Bartholomew 1943]