Click Here to go back to District Map
Acocks Green Allens Cross Ashted Aston (Gosta Green) Aston Aston (Juxta) Aston Brook Aston Manor Balsall Heath Bartley Green Bearwood Billesley Birchfield Birmingham Blackwell Bordesley (Camp Hill) Bordesley Bordesley Green Bournbrook Bournville Brandwood Bromford Brookfields California Castle Bromwich Cotteridge Deritend Duddeston Earlswood Edgbaston Erdington Great Barr Greet Hall Green Hamstead Handsworth Harborne Hay Mills Hazelwell Highgate Hockley Hodge Hill Kings Heath Kings Norton Kingstanding Ladywood Longbridge Lozells Moseley Nechells Newtown Northfield Olton Oscott Perry Barr Perry Beeches Pipe Hayes Quinton Rednal Rubery Saltley Selly Oak Shard End Sheldon Shenley Green Small Heath Smethwick Solihull South Yardley Sparkbrook Sparkhill Springfield Spring Hill Stechford Stirchley Summerfield Sutton Coldfield Ward End Washwood Heath West Heath Weoley Castle Winson Green Witton Yardley Yardley Wood RELIGIOUS HOUSES

Church of England Churches

Listed left are Districts/Parish Churches within the City of Birmingham boundary. Clicking on the District will take you to the District Information Page which also shows an approximate Ordnance Survey Grid Reference. Where Birmingham has been indicated this means Birmingham Central. All sources are from Birmingham Central Library archives, Birmingham Diocesan Directory and the Victorian History of the Counties of England. Warwickshire Vol.VII

Unless identified separately & specifically ALL Churches are C of E

C of E

Ashted - St James the Less. Formerly at Barrack Street / Great Brook Street (O.S.GR. SP 083876 approx)

The church was founded in 1789. The chapel was opened for divine service in 1791, and was consecrated in 1810. In 1853 a parish was formed out of Aston. In 1889 a mission room was opened in Dolman Street Duddeston (later known as St John’s Mission ), licensed for public worship 1908. Another mission in Lawley Street Birmingham later known as St Peter’s, was opened in 1896 and licensed from 1908 until the Second World War. It was seriously damaged during the Second World War and was demolished c.1956.

Gazetteer/Directory entries Eccl. Dist. Aston par., N. Warwickshire, in NE. [Bartholomew 1943]

Neighbouring parishes

Aston, Deritend, St Martin, St Bartholomew, Bishop Ryder

Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department

Baptisms 1810-1970

Marriages 1853-1967

Burials 1810 -1935

Banns 1954 - 1959

Bishops Transcript at Lichfield

Baptisms 1813-1832

Marriages 1676 – 1835

Burials 1676 - 1843

1829 All missing.1844 – 1964 baptisms & burials missing  


Roman Catholic


St Vincent de Paul 1883 Vauxhall Grove / Nechells Parkway, (O.S. GR. SP 0888 approx.)

The mission was established in 1883 a school chapel in Ashted Row was opened in 1884. It was served from St Joseph Nechells. Until 1885. A new church which also served as a school hall, was opened in Vaxhall Grove Ashted in 1930.