Church of England Churches
Listed left are Districts/Parish Churches within the City of Birmingham boundary. Clicking on the District will take you to the District Information Page which also shows an approximate Ordnance Survey Grid Reference. Where Birmingham has been indicated this means Birmingham Central. All sources are from Birmingham Central Library archives, Birmingham Diocesan Directory and the Victorian History of the Counties of England. Warwickshire Vol.VII
Unless identified separately & specifically ALL Churches are C of E
C of E
Acocks Green - St Mary and the Virgin Warwick Road
(O. S. GR. SP 119835 )
Consecrated in 1866 as a chapel of ease of St Edburgaha’s, Yardley. Church enlarged in 1882 but was badly damaged by enemy action in 1940. In the 1950’s restored and in 1867 became a parish church. The parish being assigned out of St Edburgha’s Yardley and enlarged in 1907, by parts of Hall Green parish. Part of the parish was taken to form part of St Edmund, Tysley (1931); Spring Lane mission room was licensed for public worship from 1882 to 1908; St Gabriel’s mission room, Summer Road, from 1909 – 26; and Bishop Westcott Church Hall, Greenwood Avenue from 1936.
Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department
Licenses 1932 –1941 ( 4 in total )
Baptist - Alexander Road Acocks Green
Chapel was opened in 1903. A new chapel was completed in 1914 the church formed in 1903 stemmed from a meeting of local Baptists gathered by Walker in 1902.
Bible Pattern Church Fellowship - Warwick Road Acocks Green
City Temple, formerly a Congregational chapel, was purchased in 1956.
Christadelphians - Station Road Acocks Green
Hall was built in 1902.The ecclesia, founded in 1896, was associated with the Temperance Hall group.
Congregationalists and Independents -Acocks Green Tysley
Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Marriages 1912 - 1936
Congregationalists and Independents -Warwick Road Acocks Green
Chapel was opened in 1860. The church originated in 1820 when a Sunday school began to meet in a granary near Yardley Parish church. Services were subsequently held, under the supervision of Carrs Lane Birmingham at a cottage In 1827 a cottage in Rushall Lane was converted for use as a chapel. The chapel Fellowship, was closed in 1956 and sold to the bible Pattern Church. In 1826 Warwick Road began a mission at Beggarly Green, Olton that eventually resulted in the opening of a chapel at Kineton Road, Olton . Another mission began in 1875, culminating in the opening of a mission hall in Church Road, Yardley. Another in Spring Lane was founded in 1882 and was still in use in 1903. Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Marriage 1926 - 1970
Methodists - Shirley Road Acocks Green
Chapel was opened by the Wesleyans in 1868 as a school chapel. Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptisms 1865 - 1963
Methodists - Warwick Road Tyesley
Chapel was opened by the Primitive Methodists shortly before 1915.
Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptism 1955 -1980
Sacred Heart Holy Souls Warwick Road ( O S GR SP1283 )
Mass was said to be celebrated in Acocks Green in the early 19th century. The mission was established in 1905 when a convent was founded at Wilton House with a presbytery next door. Mass was said in a green house until a chapel was opened in 1907 in the upper floor of a new school. The permanent church was opened in 1940 and consecrated in 1945.